Purchasers plan to continue using recession tactics

6 June 2011

6 June 2011 | Lindsay Clark

Procurement professionals believe the tactics they used to achieve savings during the economic downturn will continue to work as the economy grows.

The SM100 survey found that 61 per cent of respondents think they can hang on to spending efficiencies by using the same methods that proved successful in the downturn. However, the remainder (39 per cent) said the same tactics would not work.

“If economic growth means we have more volume and new developments to offer, then that should be easier to sell than pleading poverty, and existing wins can be retained,” said Tony Hall, head of Welland Procurement, a local government procurement shared service unit.

Martin Wakelin, purchasing director, global elastomers, at Trelleborg Sealing Solutions, said the recovery was accompanied by severe material shortages and sometimes it was necessary to pay a premium to secure supply.

“However, this does not dilute our focus on cost. In fact right now we are much more likely to analyse a supplier’s costs in great detail to ensure we understand where any price increases are coming from and if they are justified,” Wakelin said.

LATEST
JOBS
Swindon, Wiltshire
upto £40K base (+ Paid overtime and corporate benefits)
Honda Manufacturing Ltd
Kew gardens, Richmond upon Thames, London (Greater)
£37,000 - £42,500 per annum pro rata, depending on skills and experience
Kew Royal Botanic Gardens
SEARCH JOBS
CIPS Knowledge
Find out more with CIPS Knowledge:
  • best practice insights
  • guidance
  • tools and templates
GO TO CIPS KNOWLEDGE