Deal helps Unilever to dispose of all manufacturing waste products sustainably

14 September 2011

Want the latest procurement and supply chain news delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up for the Supply Management Daily


14 September 2011 | Angeline Albert

One hundred per cent of waste generated by Unilever’s UK manufacturing bases is now recycled or converted into energy, as a result of a supplier deal.

The consumer products giant achieved the goal with the help of buyers who signed a contract with the group’s existing supplier Veolia to ensure that more than 97 per cent of its waste is recycled. The deal will see the remaining 3 per cent converted into usable energy.

The agreement means all of its 11 UK factories no longer send this waste to landfill, including its PG tips site in Manchester and its Colman's factory in Norwich. The company's two research and development laboratories and its major offices in London and Leatherhead are also included in the agreement.

Unilever’s UK manufacturing sites produce about 25 per cent of its total European waste. In 2010, some 93.7 per cent of the group’s waste was non-hazardous and that same year 86 per cent of its waste was sent for recycling.

Tony Dunnage, Unilever European eco-efficiency manager said: “Today’s landmark demonstrates how our factories, office sites and R&D laboratories are more environmentally responsible, which is helping us to save money to invest in our business.”

The company would not disclose the value of the deal or how much money the agreement would save the group.

Dunnage added: “While this announcement is all about our commitment to recycling, we are also determined to find ways to reduce and reuse the materials that we need in our factories."

LATEST
JOBS
Hounslow, Heathrow /Richmond upon Thames
Competitive salary depending on experience plus generous share award
Tails.com
London
GBP60000 - GBP70000 per annum + Excellent Package
Bramwith Consulting
SEARCH JOBS
CIPS Knowledge
Find out more with CIPS Knowledge:
  • best practice insights
  • guidance
  • tools and templates
GO TO CIPS KNOWLEDGE