Logistics firms ready for Olympics' impact

12 April 2012

Want the latest procurement and supply chain news delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up for the Supply Management Daily

12 April 2012 | Adam Leach

The majority of logistics companies have now assessed the potential impact of this summer’s Olympic Games in London on their operations.

A survey carried out by Deloitte as part of its Games Readiness research found 90 per cent of companies in the sector have assessed what impact the games will have on their business and the remaining 10 per cent plan to do so before July.

The survey of 50 UK logistics providers also found that 82 per cent of respondents expect to see demand for their service to increase as a result of the event.

This compares with just 42 per cent that had formulated a plan when the last research was published in August 2011.

Byron Griffin, partner for business and professional services at Deloitte, said: “It is pleasing to see businesses have got to grips with the opportunities and challenges that the games provide. Logistics companies will need to be flexible to support their customers during a period of heightened demand. They will need to manage potential travel disruption, challenging response times and the possibility that staff could be unavailable.”

While the survey results suggest the majority of businesses know what to expect ahead of the games, it revealed the changes required to deal with impact might not yet have been defined. It found 74 per cent of respondents do not intend on altering their business continuity plan in advance of the games.

To test businesses’ preparations ahead of the games, Deloitte, along with the Canary Wharf Group and public sector bodies including the Government Olympic Executive and Transport for London, are holding a ‘stress test’ on operations on 8 and 9 May. The test will aim to simulate conditions during the Olympics and will ask participating companies to employ the alternative arrangements they have agreed already, such as flexible hours and having employees work from home.

Drew Gibson, business continuity manager at Canary Wharf Group, said: “The stress test will provide businesses of all sizes and in all sectors across London with an exciting opportunity to work together on these kinds of issues. By planning ahead, we can develop our overall resilience and capitalise on the boost to London’s economy this summer, while helping London to deliver a successful London 2012 Games.”


LATEST
JOBS
Hounslow, Heathrow /Richmond upon Thames
Competitive salary depending on experience plus generous share award
Tails.com
London
GBP40000 - GBP50000 per annum + Excellent Benefits Package
Bramwith Consulting
SEARCH JOBS
CIPS Knowledge
Find out more with CIPS Knowledge:
  • best practice insights
  • guidance
  • tools and templates
GO TO CIPS KNOWLEDGE