26 June 2014 | Guy Norwell
Everyone is driving down costs using a combination of technology and global outsourcing but the trick is not to let quality or speed to market be affected.
Perhaps the best way to analyse this is by looking at the pros and cons of each.
• Pros: Automation can reduce staff costs and time to market.
• Cons: Automation can only work within strictly defined parameters. For anything outside the box activities can grind to a halt, with human intervention required. Quality and attention to detail can also sometimes be affected.
• Pros: Significant cost reductions
• Cons: Personnel working remotely are not immediately accountable. This combined with a lack of cultural nuances and difficulties in operating across different timezones can impact on the quality of delivery.
Taking the above elements into account, the trick is to harness the pros without the cons being able to impact on the quality of your brand or speed to market. This can be easily achieved by taking into account the following eight tips:
- Carry out due diligence and spend time upfront understanding your exact objectives.
- Optimise local market involvement and insights.
- Make sure your master assets are fit for purpose.
- Use tools, automated project management and centralised digital asset management.
- Harness “right sourcing” for the appropriate resource versus simply offshoring for cost reduction.
- Develop a robust reporting system which you can quickly optimise.
- Recognise that one size doesn’t necessarily fit all.
- Top down enforcement within the organisation.
☛ Guy Norwell is business development director, UK & EMEA at RedWorks