Location: Thurso / Hybrid
Job Title: Procurement Manager
Denchi Group is the UK’s leading supplier of high reliability battery systems. Denchi has been designing and manufacturing batteries from its base in Thurso, Scotland, for over 20 years, and supplies blue chip customers in the defence, security, aerospace, oil and gas and renewables markets. Now going through a period of sustained growth with plans to triple turnover in the next 3 - 5 years, we are seeking a highly skilled and experienced Procurement Manager to join our dynamic team.
As the Procurement Manager, you will be responsible for overseeing all aspects of procurement and supply chain management within our organisation. Your primary objective will be to optimise the purchasing process, enhance supplier relationships, and ensure efficient and cost-effective procurement practices. You will collaborate with various internal stakeholders to develop strategies, negotiate contracts, manage inventory, and drive operational excellence.
1. Develop and implement strategic sourcing plans, procurement policies, and procedures to support the organisation's goals and objectives.
2. Lead and manage a team of purchasing professionals, providing guidance, coaching, and performance evaluations.
3. Identify and evaluate potential suppliers, negotiate contracts, and establish favourable terms and conditions while ensuring compliance with legal and ethical standards.
4. Monitor market trends, industry developments, and supplier performance to identify opportunities for cost savings, quality improvements, and risk mitigation.
5. Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including operations, finance, sales and engineering, to forecast demand, optimise inventory levels, and ensure timely availability of materials and products.
6. Collaborate in New Product Introduction (NPI) activities to ensure supply chain and material cost considerations are embedded in product development activities from project commencement.
7. Oversee the supplier selection process, including the evaluation of supplier capabilities, capacity, and reliability.
8. Conduct regular supplier performance evaluations and develop improvement plans to enhance supplier performance and maintain strong relationships.
9. Manage vendor relationships, resolve any issues or disputes, and drive continuous improvement initiatives.
10. Monitor and analyse key procurement metrics, such as cost savings, supplier performance, and inventory turnover, and provide regular reports to senior management.
11. Stay updated on industry best practices and emerging trends in procurement and supply chain management, and apply innovative approaches to drive efficiency and effectiveness.
Qualifications & Experience:
1. A Bachelor's degree or equivalent in business administration, supply chain management, or a related field. A master's degree is preferred but not essential.
2. Extensive and proven experience in purchasing, procurement, or supply chain management, preferably in a leadership role.
3. In-depth knowledge of procurement strategies, contract negotiation, supplier management, and supply chain best practices.
4. Preferably a technical background with manufacturing materials evaluation experience.
5. Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with the ability to make data-driven decisions and implement process improvements.
6. Excellent leadership and people management abilities, with a track record of effectively leading and developing high-performing teams.
7. Exceptional negotiation, communication, and interpersonal skills, with the ability to build and maintain strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
8. Proficiency in using procurement software, enterprise resource planning (ERP) systems, and other relevant tools.
9. Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment, managing multiple priorities and projects simultaneously.
10. Strong business acumen and financial understanding, with the ability to analyse and interpret financial data related to procurement activities.
11. Professional certification such as CIPS level 5 Advanced Diploma or Level 6 Professional Diploma would be advantageous.
Join our dynamic team and play a key role in driving our procurement and supply chain strategies. If you are a results-oriented leader with a passion for optimizing processes, building relationships, and delivering value, we encourage you to apply.
• Competitive salary.
• Flexible hours and an early finish on Friday.
• Pension contribution.
• Company sick pay - After one year of service, Denchi provides up to 8 weeks’ full pay.
• Life Assurance - lump sum of three times the annual salary.
• Hybrid working opportunity - eg 1 week on site, 1 week remote. Travel and accommodation expenses paid.
• Relocation allowance.
• Employee assistance programme – for mental health, wellbeing and healthy living.
• Cycle scheme.
• Inclusive team environment where your contribution will truly make a difference.
The local area:
The Highlands and Islands of Scotland offers some truly amazing lifestyle opportunities including:
• Stunning scenery featuring iconic mountains and flat rolling moorlands right on your doorstep.
• The world famous Royal Dornoch golf course.
• An internationally recognised surf spot around the Thurso East reef with beautiful beaches and bays, wildlife, hills, and big skies.
• Friendly thriving communities.
• Excellent local transport links to surrounding areas, including Inverness.
Each member of our team is encouraged by a working culture that offers empowerment, collaboration, and innovation to drive continuous improvement and outstanding engineered solutions.
If you join the team at Denchi you will be working and collaborating with exceptional people from a diverse range of disciplines and backgrounds, many of whom are specialists in their specific area of expertise and are passionate about what they do.
Diversity, equity, and inclusion statement:
Here at Denchi, our people are at the heart of what we do, which is why we are committed to being an employer that allows our staff to bring their true selves to work each day. We understand that diversity is a key to success and that what makes each of us different, strengthens us.
We are committed to being a diverse and inclusive working environment where all qualified applications are welcomed regardless of gender, race, religion, age, socio-economic background, disability, sexual or gender orientation. We value people for who they are and the contribution they make. We’re powering an inclusive future for all.Applicants must have the right to work in the UK and will be required to undertake a Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) check.
We’d love to hear from you if you think you have the skills, mindset, or experience for the job - even if you don’t match some of the items we’ve listed. Full training will be provided and we believe in hiring the whole person, not just what’s on your CV.