Salary – Circa £55k plus Fantastic Benefits including Final Salary Pension and free Travel on the TfL network
Location – London/Hybrid - Hybrid working within this role enables a balance of 50 per cent of time split between the office and home over a 4-week period. Hybrid working arrangements can evolve subject to business requirements.
Contract Type – TfL/Permanent
Who we are
Transport for London (TfL) is one of the best known and most successful Integrated Transport Authorities in the world. We’re at the forefront of technological innovation, and the envy of transport authorities around the globe. Within TfL the Procurement & Commercial (P&C) Team plays an integral role in helping to maintain this reputation, and we're currently seeking Commercial Managers who share that passion and ambition.
About the Team
From mission critical systems that govern the movement of trains, digital information and payment systems across London, asset refurbishment or enhancement or customer movement, P&C plays a key role in delivering all aspects of Transport for London’s obligations. It is our responsibility to plan, strategize and procure every essential component that TfL needs to deliver the millions of journeys that take place on our network each day.
With responsibility for the significant £6bn+ spend that is needed to keep London moving, the commercial activity P&C drive, ensures we get the best return on investment and deliver outstanding long-term value.
For more information about Commercial and Procurement in TfL please follow the link below.
The two Commercial Manager positions focused on Procurement within the newly formed, cross functional - Capital Procurement team within the Procurement and Commercial team in Capital. A fast paced and dynamic area, the role will be responsible for a diverse portfolio of categories; across all TfL modes of transport, from Highways structures to LUL project renewals and Tram enhancements across our Capital Infrastructure & systems teams. A great opportunity for a capable individual to support and lead in the delivery of a multi-million pipeline of procurements, creating specific sourcing strategies, category plans with the key aim to deliver value for money for our organisation.
These Commercial Manager roles support the newly Infrastructure part of Operations. A fast paced and dynamic area. Infrastructure is responsible for a diverse portfolio of categories, from Lifts and Escalators, Signals, Power and Cooling, Asset Resilience and minor civils. A great area for a capable individual to use their skills and knowledge to deliver capital projects and drive value for money for TfL.
To succeed in this role the job holder will need to collaborate effectively with procurement and delivery colleagues to identify best value opportunities. Where the roles require, will apply compliant and best practice procurement processes. From time to time the job holder may be required to manage 1 or 2 staff in support of the delivery of programme requirements.
The roles may entail pre and post contract or be solely post contract, the list below covers both aspects
- Collate Stakeholder requirements and specifications source data and intelligence about suppliers, market sectors and contractual commitments for the development of the Procurement pipeline Develop procurement strategies, category plans and specific procurement plans, in support of a defined assets or delivery area.
- Manage the procurement processes for competitive tendering, including supplier selection, pre-qualification, tendering and evaluation and contract award in accordance with the procurement plan, procedures and governance.
- Utilise e-procurement tools, templates and standard forms of contract, to maximise the efficiency and control of the procurement process and to support the fair evaluation of responses from the bidding suppliers.
- Prepare appropriate forms of contract to clarify the price and deliverables for the works or services, contract responsibilities, and the incentives, risk and obligations for each party; stipulate contractual remedies in the event of poor performance or breach of contract.
- Exercise procurement authority as delegated by the Commercial Director; maintain high levels of process probity.
- Identifying, assessing and reducing potential risks to commercial agreements and supplier performance.
- Planning, delivering and managing all procurement activities to deliver contracts and frameworks for works, goods and services contracts. Including prequalification, tender and negotiation of contracts and contact award recommendations using procurement processes and systems.
- Supply chain analysis, development and implementation of procurement strategies and category plans
- Management of cost analysis, benchmarking, estimating and cost planning using construction and engineering industry market economics and understanding their impact on cost and price.
- Management of construction, engineering, supply and service contracts. Preparation of detailed analysis of variances and explanations, and understanding of concept of, and ability to calculate earned value.
- Formulation of negotiation parameters, analysis and interpretation of commercial data and demonstration of flexibility whilst achieving negotiation objectives.
- Management of claims, mitigation and advising on defence of claims, including analysis of the various parties’ positions.
- Chairing performance meetings with suppliers, communicates performance data and agrees improvement plans. Able to differentiate between issues that can be managed locally and those that need to be elevated for either information, or resolution and action.
- Supporting delivery of organisational and personal development programmes
- Liaising with third party funders and developers on externally funded projects and developments including development agreements, cost recovery and funding. Skills, Knowledge & Experience
- Procurement Management – Ability to plan, deliver and manage all procurement activities to deliver contracts and frameworks - (Essential)
- Contract Management - Has a full understanding of a range of different forms of contract and the components required to form a contract package and the interrelationship between these elements. Able to advise on appropriate forms to suit different procurement approaches. Understands the concept of risk allocation between the parties - (Essential)
- Strong negotiation skills - (Essential)
- Influencing skills - (Desirable)
- People management skills - (Desirable)
- Listening skills, tact and diplomacy, and the ability to manage stakeholders - (Essential)
- Stakeholder and supplier relationship skills - (Essential)
- Advanced level of numeracy and data analysis skills - (Essential)
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with people within and outside the organisation. Influence people across the organisation and outside - (Essential)
- Awareness of risk management methods and techniques for the assessment and management of project and business risk - (Essential)
- HSQE – operates with a good level of awareness of HSQE requirements, as they relate to contracts and contractors and ensures HSQE considerations underpin the procurement approach. Able to maintain the accuracy and quality of own work, making good use of tools and systems available to monitor work in progress and to identify corrective actions - (Desirable)
- Effective deployment of market information in strategy development -
- (Desirable) Able to produce estimates for major schemes able to deliver construction cost analyses - (Essential)
- Knowledge of JCT, ICE and NEC forms and ability to manage contract administration - (Essential)
- Knowledge of construction case law - (Desirable)
- Ability to plan and deliver cost management - (Essential)
- Detailed project management knowledge - (Essential)
- Proven experience of managing complex customer and supplier relationships - (Desirable)
- Extensive experience of how the various commercial activities interrelate and are applied on major work streams, projects and programmes. (Essential)
- Experience of working with external funded and cost recovery projects. (Essential) Previous experience of working within the EU Regulations for public sector and utilities procurement (desirable)
- Experienced in utilisation of specialist IT systems for the management of sourcing (desirable)
- Hold Fellowship/Membership of The Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (FRICS/MRICS) or equivalent professional qualifications or working towards - (Desirable)
Equality, diversity and inclusion
We are committed to equality, diversity and inclusion. We want to represent the city we serve, which will help us become a more innovative and efficient organisation. Our goal is to make our recruitment as inclusive as possible. We are a disability confident employer who guarantee an interview to any disabled candidate who meets all of the essential criteria. We also use anonymising software that removes identifying information from CVs and cover letters to make the process fair.
Please apply using your CV, a cover letter is optional. Word format or PDF is preferred and please do not include any photographs or images to avoid technical issues with your application.
Think carefully about the skills, knowledge and experience in the advert and cover this in your CV. Word format is preferred and please do not include any photographs or images.
Assessment Process and Key Dates
The closing date for applications is 15th September 2023 @ 23:59 however, we encourage you to submit your application as soon as possible as hiring managers will be reviewing applications and conducting interviews on a weekly basis from 22nd August onwards.
In return for your commitment and expertise, you will enjoy excellent benefits and scope to grow. Rewards vary according to the business area but mostly include:
Final salary pension scheme Free travel for you on the TfL network A 75% discount on National Rail Season Ticket and interest free loan 30 days annual leave plus public and bank holidays Private healthcare discounted scheme (optional) Tax-efficient cycle-to-work programme Retail, health, leisure and travel offers Discounted Eurostar travel TfL is committed to work-life balance, operating a hybrid working approach where business and role requirements allow