Strategic Commercial Manager
Come and join Aberdeen City Council as part of Commercial and Procurement Services a NEW and UNIQUE shared service.
Based in our Aberdeen hub you will lead a team who will manage and support major capital and/or revenue projects across Aberdeen City, Aberdeenshire and Highland Councils.
The projects will be of key strategic significance, often of extremely high value, often with significant risk and often very complex in nature.
You will recognise business opportunities and constantly look for income generation streams. Working with Commercial and Category Managers you will drive value and commercial opportunity from a large and diverse supply base using modern supply chain management techniques.
We offer flexibility as we want to help you strike a balance between your work and personal life - so we have a variety of ways you can work flexibly, and in many cases we exceed legislative requirements to promote the welfare of our employees.
Annual leave entitlement is generous from 27 days, rising to 32 days after 5 years continuous service and 35 days after 10 years. In addition, you're entitled to 7 public holidays throughout the year.
You'll have access to one of the best pension schemes within the UK. The Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS) is a statutory, funded pension scheme.
Your key responsibilities
Provide professional support and assistance to the Head of Commercial & Procurement Services
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with immediate colleagues, Elected Members, Senior Council Officers and outside bodies to ensure effective and efficient working
- Be responsible for taking the commercial lead in complex negotiation
- Negotiate and execute effectively and accurately in an intense working environment within the business/legal philosophies of the Council
- The management, development and delivery of a supply chain strategy to improve the Council’s ability to identify strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats across a diverse supply base
- Introduce, design and utilise financial models, costing techniques and pricing methods to understand and drive down cost structures with suppliers and providers
- Develop and manage supplier and contract performance with primary focus on those of high value and complex nature
You will have a strategic commercial competence with a successful track record on contract negotiation and delivery of savings and service improvements.
You will be an excellent communicator and negotiator with experience of working with multi-disciplinary and cross functional teams.
You will have the ability to manage dynamic and strategic teams, with strong relationship building skills.
You will be focused on results and management of projects and programmes to improve performance and deliver effective services to customers
Qualifications: Relevant Business / Commercial qualification to Degree level or relevant Business/Commercial professional qualification