Strategic Procurement Manager (Category Management)
Come and join Aberdeen City Council as part of Commercial and Procurement Services a NEW and UNIQUE shared service.
Based in our Inverness hub you will lead a team who will manage, support and provide professional advice on all matters relating to maintaining and developing a central procurement service across Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire and Highland Councils.
You will manage an extensive work portfolio comprising a plethora of diverse commercial contracts with external organisations. These contracts are required to be managed in an innovative and creative manner in order to stimulate supply chains that will contribute significantly to service improvements through efficiencies including community benefits and tangible savings.
We offer flexibility as we want to help you strike a balance between your work and personal life - so we have a variety of ways you can work flexibly, and in many cases we exceed legislative requirements to promote the welfare of our employees.
Annual leave entitlement is generous from 27 days, rising to 32 days after 5 years continuous service and 35 days after 10 years. In addition, you're entitled to 7 public holidays throughout the year.
You'll have access to one of the best pension schemes within the UK. The Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS) is a statutory, funded pension scheme.
Your key responsibilities
- Provide strategic and operational leadership, support and advice to the Councils on the development of external partnerships, partnering arrangements and other strategic policy procurement matters
- Represent the councils as a senior representative on strategic procurement initiatives with outside bodies and agencies
- Promote the strategic importance of procurement issues across the Councils
- Develop and maintain a marketing and customer strategy aimed at continuous service improvement
- The management, development and delivery of strategy to improve the Council’s ability to identify strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats across a diverse supply base
- Prepare complex reports, plans and other information on projects/casework with implications for Council policies, expenditure, budgets, service delivery etc.
You will require strong team management and relationship building skills.
You will be an excellent communicator and negotiator with the assertiveness require to enforce compliance with procurement and other relevant policy.
You will have the ability to lead, plan and implement change and innovation to drive procurement best practice.
You will be results focused, with the ability to manage both you and your team’s workloads and deadlines.
Qualifications: Relevant Business / Commercial qualification to Degree level or relevant Business/Commercial professional qualification