Commercial Income Contract Manager
UK Research and Innovation
Salary: £38,969 - £43,300 PA dependant on experience
Contract Type: Open-Ended
Hours: Full Time
Closing Date: 27th January 2021
Commercial (income) Contract Managers at UK Research and Innovation (UKRI)
We have two new and exciting opportunities for experienced commercial managers to be based at our Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) Rutherford Appleton Lab (RAL) site in Oxfordshire.
UKRI is the UK's science and innovation agency, home to world-class scientists, world-class facilities and world-class research and innovation. Comprising seven Research Councils dedicated to particular sectors of research, plus Innovate UK and Research England, we're a non-departmental public body, part of the UK Government, tasked with maximising the value of the Government's six billion pound annual investment in research and innovation.
We're currently recruiting commercial professionals to join a new team providing professional pre- and post- contract commercial support for income-generating (sales) and collaboration agreements, primarily for the Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC), a Research Council and one of Europe's largest science research organisations.
In particular, we're looking for people to support STFC's RAL Space and Technology groups, dealing with advanced computing, laser and space projects, including the pipeline of satellites entering the UK's new £100M National Satellite Test Facility. These roles are challenging, varied and interesting. You'll have a strong operational responsibility to the senior management teams for which support is provided, and need to quickly adapt to a wide range of different technologies, negotiating on behalf of UKRI with both public and private sector clients ranging from SMEs to the European Space Agency.
Your primary responsibilities will be to:
- Provide pre-bid commercial support and leadership to bid teams, challenging assumptions and ensuring commercially- and legally- robust bids that deliver value and control risk, escalating issues as required;
- Manage a personal case load and lead contractual negotiations with clients, ensuring optimal outcomes whilst managing risk and maintaining compliance with public sector commercial rules, as well as UKRI's corporate values of honesty, fairness and integrity;
- Provide post-contract commercial management, defending margin and managing risk both internally and externally in contract changes and during project fulfilment;Provide assurance and evidence to senior teams that commercial arrangements are effective and adhering to policy;
- Provide input to the development of the commercial team's pre-sales, bidding, contract negotiation and fulfilment activities;
- Maintain a close and co-ordinated working relationship with other Commercial Contract Managers and our colleagues in procurement;
- Act as a role model of commercial professionalism within area of responsibility.
Education, qualification and training:
- Degree level in a commercial, legal, technical or engineering discipline or similar
Technical skills, experience:
- Extensive experience of drafting, negotiating, monitoring and managing commercial terms and conditions of major projects with corporate clients;
- Proven team working in a high technology, project driven, business environment where intellectual property management is a significant factor;
- Able to reflect UKRI values in behaviour and attitude;
- A strong technical understanding of commercial and contract management with keen attention to detail and good analytical skills and;
- High degree of commercial awareness and a confident negotiator.
- Personal drive and enthusiasm with the gravitas to advise senior managers in the organisation and to engage directly with key client organisations;
- Commercially astute in negotiation situations and;
- A natural problem solver.
Some occasional travel may be required in this role, to other UKRI sites and to visit key customers and partners as necessary.
What we offer
UK Research and Innovation offers a benefits package designed to provide an excellent work/life balance. This includes 30 days' annual leave, 10.5 public and privilege days, Christmas shut down, flexible working hours, an exceptional defined benefit pension scheme, a work-based nursery and social and sporting activities and societies. But above all we offer the chance to work with friendly people and get involved in projects that can be literally out of this world.
How to Apply
Applicants are required to include a CV and cover letter outlining their suitability for this role.
To apply please click the apply button. Applicants who are unable to apply online should contact us by telephone on +44 (0)1793 867000.
The closing date for applications is 27th January 20201.