Commercial Manager - Defence
At Turner & Townsend we’re passionate about making the difference. That means delivering better outcomes for our clients, helping our people to realise their potential, and doing our part to create a prosperous society.
Every day we help our major global clients deliver ambitious and highly technical projects, in over 130 countries worldwide.
Our team is dynamic, innovative and client-focused, supported by an inclusive company culture. Our clients value our proactive approach, depth of expertise, integrity and the quality we deliver. As a result our people get to enjoy working on some of the most exciting projects in the world.
Within our South West region our team has strong positions with key clients in Health, Local Authority, Higher Education, Highways, Utilities, Rail and Defence. Our people have the opportunity to move between sectors, building their experience across a broad range of major programmes and projects.
Due to our continued support to the MoD on various national long-term frameworks we have a number of opportunities and are currently seeking applications from Commercial Managers interested in working in the Defence Sector. An example of this is where Turner & Townsend is a Tier 1 supplier to Defence Equipment & Support (DE&S) as a Programme Delivery Partner and Commercial Delivery Partner across their ~£14bn annual programme of expenditure to deliver critical UK assets.
As one of Turner & Townsend’s Commercial Managers your role could include Sourcing, Procurement, Contract Management, Sales, Contract Management Disposals and Corporate activities.
Along with strong core commercial management experience across a broad range of sectors and projects, we are seeking candidates who have extensive Category Management and Digital/ICT experience.
We are seeking people to join our organisation who have a positive outlook, are seeking development opportunities and have a strong foundation of technical understanding in their core area of activity.
- Leading and assisting with development of contract sourcing and commercial strategies that reflect the needs of the business
- Owning and assisting pre-sourcing market analysis
- Heading-up and assisting with development of business cases for approval
- Managing and assisting with the preparation of bidders pack for purchasing and procurements, and with issue and evaluation of tenders
- Monitoring supplier performance against KPI’s, to deliver successful outcomes (times, cost, performance)
- Undertake pricing reviews and evaluation of contractor bids and submissions
- Conducting peer contract assurance prior to internal DE&S and MOD approvals, ensuring the correct commercial policy has been implemented and assessing the commercial decisions made and the level of risk to the Department in progressing to contract award
- Carrying out Contract Management and overseeing the creation of Commercial flies and audit trails by the Commercial Assistants
- Development of the Assistant Commercial Officers through on the job training, skills gap breakdown and informing demand priorities for the projects forward plans
- This role involves responsibility for supervising people, including operating a team on a day-to-day basis, allocation of routine duties, checking of work and involvement in the staff appraisal process. The role also requires regular direct contract negotiation and engagement with suppliers.
- Experience of either Procurement, Contract Management or Contract Placement (Sourcing)
- Ideally minimum of 3 years commercial experience
- A strong commercial and business acumen
- Strong people and management skills
- Ability to quickly pick up new tasks and use own initiative
- Good communication skills both written and oral
- Single source/direct award procurements
- UK Public Contracts Regulations 2015
NEC contract knowledge and experience would be a nice to have
- A degree in Project Management, Commercial Management, Business Law or similar
- Hold CIPS Level 4 Foundation Diploma with the desire to continue working towards Level 5
- Security Cleared, or able to obtain