Senior Commercial Manager - Defence
At Turner & Townsend we’re passionate about making the difference. That means delivering better outcomes for our clients, helping our people to realise their potential, and doing our part to create a prosperous society.
Every day we help our major global clients deliver ambitious and highly technical projects, in over 130 countries worldwide.
Our team is dynamic, innovative and client-focused, supported by an inclusive company culture. Our clients value our proactive approach, depth of expertise, integrity and the quality we deliver. As a result our people get to enjoy working on some of the most exciting projects in the world.
Within our South West region our team has strong positions with key clients in Health, Local Authority, Higher Education, Highways, Utilities, Rail and Defence. Our people have the opportunity to move between sectors, building their experience across a broad range of major programmes and projects.
Due to our continued support to the MoD on various national long-term frameworks we have a number of opportunities and are currently seeking applications from Senior Commercial Managers interested in working in the Defence Sector. An example of this is where Turner & Townsend is a Tier 1 supplier to Defence Equipment & Support (DE&S) as a Programme Delivery Partner and Commercial Delivery Partner across their ~£14bn annual programme of expenditure to deliver critical UK assets.
As one of Turner & Townsend’s Senior Commercial Managers your role could include Sourcing, Procurement, Contract Management, Sales, Contract Management Disposals and Corporate activities.
Along with strong core commercial management experience across a broad range of sectors and projects, we are seeking candidates who have extensive Category Management and Digital/ICT experience.
We are seeking people to join our organisation who have a positive outlook, are seeking development opportunities and have a strong foundation of technical understanding in their core area of activity.
- Accountable for ensuring that commercial strategies contribute to cross government and departmental procurement agenda;
- Conducting commercial assurance of business cases, commercial strategies and contracting approaches, to ensure that sound commercial practices are being applied;
- Accountable for providing commercial service delivery within budget, on time, and for providing commercial inputs to the project schedule (project action tracker);
- Managing complex and business critical or strategically important negotiations;
- Examining risks to project commercial success and implements appropriate mitigations;
- Developing supplier management strategies in order to maximise commercial leverage; and
- Devising and develops the strategy for transition to contract management.
- Development and implementation of effective contract and supplier management strategies, to extract maximum value from contracts, motivate performance and drive innovation;
- Proactive monitoring and contract management, to deliver enduring thru-life value-for-money solutions;
- Monitoring supplier performance against KPIs, to deliver successful outcomes (time, cost, performance);
- Providing timely feedback on supplier performance issues, successes, and contractual risk to senior project leaders;
- Enforcing contracts through generating considerations, identifying performance trends and taking appropriate action, evaluating non-conformance, dispute resolution, and applying enforcement tools and remedies to secure consideration and compensation as appropriate; and
- Conducting peer contract assurance prior to internal DE&S and MOD approvals, ensuring the correct commercial policy has been implemented
- Significant experience of Procurement, Contract Management or Contract Placement (sourcing) with some experience of the other, in single source and competitive markets.
- Identifying the most suitable commercial approach to the circumstance, including assessing the potential trade-offs and the level of risk mitigation required to achieve the best commercial outcome;
- Understanding and applying programme, portfolio and project management tools;
- Taking ownership of decisions at tender evaluation stage and applying commercial expertise and judgement accordingly; and
- Understanding and applying tools to monitor supplier performance including EVM, cost analysis, and contract related management information systems.
- Will have at least 10 years’ commercial experience;
- Experience leading teams and providing strategic direction;
- Commercial Functional competence and skills at Practitioner or Expert level, for pre-market, sourcing and post-award contract management
- The role has responsibility for dealing regularly with clients/customers on complex, controversial and contentious issues. The role will typically be able to chair internal and external meetings involving senior participants.
- Single source/direct award procurements
- UK Public Contracts Regulations 2015
- NEC contract knowledge and experience would be a nice to have
- A degree in Project Management, Commercial Management, Business, Law or equivalent;
- The role requires specific knowledge acquired by obtaining CIPS level 7 / Chartered status as well as additional in-depth relevant work experience.
- Security Cleared or able to obtain.