Principal Category Manager
AWE are looking for a Principal Category Manager to drive, implement and execute category management, strategic sourcing, contract management and supplier relationship management, with the ultimate objective of leveraging AWE supplier base to exceed its business requirements, whilst mitigating risks. You will provide commercial and contract performance leadership to the business and leading contract continuous improvements and negotiations to drive results.
AWE offer a competitive salary, market leading contributory pension scheme, generous holiday entitlement, excellent work/life balance including a 9-day working fortnight and flexible working hours (role dependent). A salary sacrifice scheme is also available.
Location - Reading area
As Principal Category Manager you will be a member of the extended leadership team and report directly to the Head of Supply Chain. You will lead a team of commercial and supply professionals to deliver over £1bn investment in engineering plant, process and equipment contracts. You will lead on the construction of new manufacturing facilities, while working with supply chain and the wider engineering community to design, assemble and commission some of the UK's most complex and innovative engineering solutions. Your will role will involve creating new UK and international marketplaces, while developing collaborative partnering contract solutions to drive value and strategic opportunities.
To be successful in this role you should have the following skills;
- MCIPS, MRICS or APM Project Management or equivalent experience - Desired
- Proactive self-starter and willing to challenge the status quo and meet the resistance head on
- Can lead, manage and direct a mix of internal and external resources to deliver the programme
- Experience of multiple £100-500m construction contracts with major UK contractors
- Ability to manage design process to a budget within client constraints
- Experience of working in a matrix organisation and interfacing with multiple internal and external stakeholders
- Able to articulate decisions and strategy and support with the why and context to bring the decision to life
- Experience of designing sourcing strategies and drafting contracts to drive performance
- In-depth knowledge of supplier selection and negotiate complex contracts with suppliers and ensuring risk is apportioned appropriately between the parties
- Understand pre and post contract activities and what good governance looks like
- Familiar with construction standard forms of contract
- Experience of NEC suite of contracts and target cost - desirable
- Understand the wider engineering market and the AWE's position and influence to create capacity and capability through effective demand planning
All candidates must be able to apply for and maintain the correct security clearance for this role.
AWE plays a crucial role in the defence of the United Kingdom, by providing and maintaining the warheads for the country's nuclear deterrent. We are a centre of scientific, engineering and technological excellence, with some of the most advanced research, design and production facilities in the world. Our unique expertise also assists the UK Government in developing and delivering a range of innovative and integrated support services, including national nuclear security and counter-terrorism solutions.
AWE is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from sections of the community which are currently under-represented at AWE, including women, BAME and disabled people.