We are a national law firm offering a unique collection of specialisms across the commercial, public, health and insurance sectors, with offices in Birmingham, Exeter, London, Manchester and Nottingham. We have long-standing relationships with an impressive range of clients and aim to truly understand their needs to deliver an exceptional service which exceeds their expectations and makes their life easier. We endeavour to be the best regional firm as measured by quality, client engagement and satisfaction and people retention and development. We believe that, as a truly inclusive employer, we will be able to collaborate more effectively and, by bringing diverse perspectives to our work, create a culture where difference is valued, delivering the best possible service to our broad client base. We also strive to create meaningful personal and professional development opportunities and offer flexible working in support of a good work-life balance.
Why is this role important and how does it fit into the team, department & wider firm?
The role holder will be responsible for working across the firm to establish and maintain a procurement function. This is a role which does not currently exist, so there is scope to build and shape the function to support the firm’s activities.
What does the role actually involve?
- Working with multiple stakeholders across varied lines of business to determine their needs and subsequently sourcing the best products, services and suppliers
- Running tenders, evaluating bids and making recommendations, based on commercial and technical factors
- Ensuring the firm obtains quality products and services for competitive prices in a timely fashion and that the firm remains within its budgets/operates profitably
- Monitoring business trends and product availability to pay the best price for company goods and services without sacrificing quality or delivery times
- Identifying and researching potential new suppliers and nurturing relationships with existing suppliers to negotiate the best prices
- Undertaking a review of existing suppliers to establish their conformance with the firm’s policies on data protection, modern slavery, information security, minimum/living wage etc
- Assessing the risk profile of all new suppliers including considering legislative, regulatory and compliance obligations
- Assessing total costs of company purchases and undertaking a review of existing contracts to assess continuing fitness for purpose and commerciality
- Establishing sustainable and ethical supply chains and ensuring that the values of the firm’s suppliers accord with the firm’s own values
- Creating policy statements allowing us to articulate our sustainable procurement credentials to our clients, and dealing with questions from clients in relation to this
What technical skills are required for someone to be successful and enjoy the role?
- Understanding of risk and risk management/ mitigation
- Data analysis and mathematics skills
- Superior organisational skills
- Good business instincts and financial analysis skills to enable benchmarking, cost reduction and continuous improvement
- Excellent negotiation abilities
- Understanding of supply chain management procedures
- Strategic planning abilities
- Understanding of project management methodologies and change management principles
- Knowledge of Supply Management Software (Database Management, Contract Management, Financial Analysis, Procurement, Project Management)
- Specialised industry knowledge
- BA or MA in Business, Logistics, Supply Chain Management, Engineering, Economics, Applied Science, or a related field, especially those accredited by the Chartered Institute of Procurement and Supply (CIPS)
- Sufficient legal knowledge and experience to be able to deal with standard supplier terms and conditions without recourse to in-house legal expertise
Who would be a good fit for this role?
As part of the business operations team, you would be expected to have the following skills and experience:
- Flexible and adaptable; able to work in ambiguous situations
- Resilient and tenacious with a propensity to persevere
- Forward looking with a holistic approach
- Organized with a natural inclination for planning strategy and tactics
- Must be a team player and able to work collaboratively with and through others
- Able to work effectively at all levels in an organization
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal
- Excellent active listening skills
- Ability to clearly articulate messages to a variety of audiences
- Ability to establish and maintain strong relationships
- Ability to influence others and move toward a common vision or goal
- A disciplined and precise approach to problem solving
- Positive can-do attitude, with the ability to work on own initiative whilst maintaining a positive team spirit at all times
- Solution focused with the ability to flex personal style to gain buy-in, understanding and support from key stakeholders and the wider business