Senior Category Manager
Join Police Delivery Service as a Senior Category Manager
We are looking for an experienced and committed Senior Category Manager to become an important part of the growing PDS Commercial Team that is charged with delivering national commercial initiatives that will have a significant and positive impact on UK policing, and the public it serves. As a Senior Category Manager in PDS you will have many and varied opportunities to get involved in complex and interesting areas of work. If this sounds like you, then we may have the opportunity you are looking for.
We exist to harness the power of digital, data and technology to enable UK policing to better protect the communities it serves. Ours is a team of experts in commercial services, technical assurance, data, digital transformation and innovation, with a unique experience in policing and national programme delivery.
Why Join us?
- Balance is important and we want you to take time off to recharge – so we offer 28 days’ annual leave plus bank holidays, rising to 30 days after 5 years of service.
- We care about your well-being – we have an employee assistance programme that offers not just welfare benefits and counselling at the end of a telephone line but also discounts.
- We want to help you plan for the future – so we offer an excellent pension scheme and life assurance cover.
- We want you to be able to put your mind at rest regarding your health – offering remote GP, mental health and physiotherapy appointments via video consultation.
The Role and Responsibilities
Undertake allocated high risk, high value contract procurement and related procurement activities including market development, tendering, implementation, and monitoring of procurement contracts. Monitor the over-arching supplier market and key market suppliers in terms of performance and stability and co-ordinate across the other service pillars. Highlight and track risks where appropriate. Lead (and assist where required) on complex, strategic, contractual, and commercial negotiations.
Provide expert procurement, commercial and legal advice to members of the PDS and external forces as required. Gain their trust and support.
What you need to succeed in the role
- The post holder will hold MCIPS or be able to clearly evidence equivalent levels of experience, technical knowledge and expertise by having worked as a leading Procurement professional within ICT Services for a complex, public sector organisation. (essential)
- At least 5 years’ experience in category management (essential)
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of contract law and the application of EU Public Procurement Regulations and legislation is essential, as well as preparing specifications. This to include preparation / evaluation of tender criteria as well as those operating under framework arrangements and EU directives. (essential)
- Experience of procurement and contract management across the ICT category and a broad, high-level technical understanding of ICT products and services and how technology is advancing. (essential)
- Experience of managing staff, preferably across a number of locations. (essential)
- The post holder will have strong negotiating, influencing, interpersonal and communication skills, as are essential to the role. (essential)
- Proven success in working in a political environment with senior stakeholders (Chief Executive level) showing sound judgment and impact. (essential)
- Provide innovative thinking and impetus to drive through change and develop and enhance an integrated commercial and contract management function. (essential)
- Significant experience of translating business needs into commercial procurement strategies that drive enhanced business outcomes for organisations. (essential)
- Procurement experience with a blue light organisation (desirable)
- Strong analytical skills to align procurement solutions with customer needs.
- Ability to identify strategic opportunities in the external market and how they may benefit forces.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the gravitas and ability to liaise successfully with staff/officers of all levels and external individuals, and to influence stakeholders within forces and external organisations.
- Strong commercial acumen.
- Good organisational, time management and project management skills in to ensure delivery of results to agreed deadlines.
- Ability to travel to Police forces and suppliers as required throughout the UK. This is to ensure development of stakeholder relationships and trust.
Currently the entire Company is working remotely. We expect that, once government advice changes, a hybrid working arrangement will be implemented for this role, enabling the job holder to split their time between the office and their home.
To apply, please click 'Apply'