Senior Commercial Manager
Join Police Delivery Service as a Senior Commercial Manager
We are looking for an experienced and committed Senior Commercial Manager to become an important part of the growing PDS Commercial Team that is charged with delivering national commercial initiatives that will have a significant and positive impact on UK policing, and the public it serves. As a Senior Commercial Manager in PDS you will have many and varied opportunities to flex your commercial muscles and to get involved in complex and interesting areas of work. If public service interests you, if you want to join us in supporting UK policing, we want to hear from you.
About Police Digital Service
We exist to harness the power of digital, data, and technology to enable UK policing to better protect the communities it serves. Ours is a team of experts in commercial services, technical assurance, data, digital transformation and innovation, with a unique experience in policing and national programme delivery.
Why join us
- Balance is important and we want you to take time off to recharge – so we offer 28 days’ annual leave plus bank holidays, rising to 30 days after 5 years of service.
- We care about your well-being – we have an employee assistance programme that offers not just welfare benefits and counselling at the end of a telephone line but also discounts.
- We want to help you plan for the future – so we offer an excellent pension scheme and life assurance cover.
- We want you to be able to put your mind at rest regarding your health – offering remote GP, mental health and physiotherapy appointments via video consultation.
The Role and Responsibilities
Lead where appropriate on all complex and commercial negotiations with strategic suppliers across PDS. Provide advice and assistance as required, to individual force(s), to enable them to resolve any local commercial issues. (This includes any dispute resolution activity.)
Ensure that wider income generation and sponsorship opportunities for forces are leveraged where appropriate.
Act as a conduit to external organisations such as the Home Office, Blue Light Commercial Organisation, and Crown Commercial Services to proactively demonstrate best practice.
What you need to succeed in the role:
- The post holder will hold MCIPS or be able to clearly evidence equivalent levels of experience, technical knowledge and expertise, by having worked as a commercially focused procurement professional for a complex, public sector organisation. (essential).
- The post holder will be able to demonstrate significant experience of procurement (including category management) and commercial management in contracts of significant value across the ICT category range and worked as a commercially focused procurement professional for a complex public-sector organisation. (essential)
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of contract law and the application of EU Public Procurement Regulations and legislation is essential, as well as preparing specifications. This to include preparation / evaluation of tender criteria as well as those operating under framework arrangements and EU directives. (essential)
- Proven success in working in a political environment with senior stakeholders (Chief Executive level) showing sound judgment and impact. (essential)
- Provide innovative thinking and impetus to drive through change and develop and enhance an integrated commercial and contract management function across the PDS. (essential)
- Significant experience of translating business needs into commercial procurement strategies that drive enhanced business outcomes for the PDS and forces. (essential)
- Procurement experience with a blue light organisation (desirable)
- Strong analytical skills to align procurement solutions with customer needs.
- Strong commercial acumen.
- Be confident to explore and develop new commercial models not normally undertaken within the public-sector.
- Ability to “see the big picture” and think strategically about developments across the public sector and emergency services sector and the potential opportunities that those developments will create for the PDS and forces.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the gravitas and ability to liaise successfully with staff/officers of all levels and external individuals, and to influence stakeholders.
- Strong negotiating, influencing, interpersonal and communication skills, are essential to the role.
- Good organisational, time management and project management skills to ensure delivery of results to agreed deadlines.
- Ability to travel to Police forces and suppliers as requested throughout the UK. This is to ensure development of stakeholder relationships and trust.
Currently the entire Company is working remotely. We expect that, once government advice changes, a hybrid working arrangement will be implemented for this role, enabling the job holder to split their time between the office and their home.
To apply, please click 'Apply'