Head of Procurement & Materials Management
Ifor Williams Trailers (IWT) is Britain's leading trailer manufacturer, operating at five advanced manufacturing sites across North Wales. The company was established in 1958 and to date has manufactured over half a million trailers.
The wide product range includes Livestock, Horsebox, General Duty, Tipper, Plant, Flatbed, Box Van trailers, Car Transporters, and pick-up Canopies. The customer base is equally diverse, ranging from the agricultural community to the plant and commercial industry and the leisure sector.
The company's philosophy is to manufacture trailers of the highest quality that combine the latest technology with strength, durability, ease of maintenance and value for money.
As IWT look to further enhance their market presence, they are recruiting a Head of Procurement to deliver products and service of the right quality, quantity and price to the right location to support IWT's world class manufacturing platform. This person will look to develop long term partnerships with IWT supply base to deliver value to the business, support profitable growth and provision services to deliver IWT business strategy.
- Ensure the procurement and materials management function and its frameworks are aligned to the strategic plan by developing, implementing and managing strategies, processes and sourcing methods in order to meet current and emerging demands across all geographies.
- Develop cross functional co operation and knowledge to manage the needs of all stakeholders. Investigate, and commission bringing component manufacturing inhouse inline with IWT business plans.
- Champions all health & safety standards to ensure they are met or exceeded
- Work collaboratively with all functions in order to identify future trends and development requirements to deliver IWT products and develop new products and services to further enhance IWT offering to its end customers and distributors
- Escalate risks, non-compliance, concerns and deficiencies to the responsible management team / Directors and ensure that these are rectified.
- Regularly evaluate the operation of processes and controls and discuss with management as necessary, making use of KPIs to monitor performance.
- Design and implement KPIs that accurately reflect the procurement and materials management functions objectives. Use root cause analysis, continuous improvement and lean methodology to always target improvements and achieve excellence. Escalate and address business risks without delay or hesitation.
- Collaborate across senior management within the group to ensure new initiatives incorporate sound procurement and materials management processes whilst meeting business need.
- Build a team of employees (both direct and indirect reports) who share the aim of supporting and growing a financially stable company. Build a culture of innovation, continuous improvement and voice of the customer.
- Ensure procurement and materials management team understand their roles and accountability, working in a collaborative manner. Ensure that the team is encouraged to maintain its own professional development and that the working environment is an acknowledged centre of excellence that other departments come to and work with for the achievement of shared company goals.
- Provide effective management and leadership, and conduct performance and development reviews of staff managed, to ensure motivated performance, high quality service delivery and achievement of the business plan.
- Be accountable for BOTH the systems and the people. Both elements must function in tandem. Identify when system or people performance does not meet expectation, respond promptly and appropriately to rectify the issue.
- Escalate risks, non-compliance, concerns and deficiencies to the directors and ensure that these are rectified.
- Regularly submit reports with regard to progress and for review at board level in accordance with established company practice, ensuring the content is both historical and future in orientation to drive improvements and achievement of goals
- Submit budget proposals with regard to future functional resourcing and equipment requirements in order to meet design objectives and to maintain the company’s position as a leading innovator in the sector
- Be proactive in keeping up to date with developments affecting the role
- Deliver actions and objectives agreed within the business plan.
Primary Tasks & Activities
- Maintain regular and pro-active communication with all interdependent teams to ensure they fully meet their supplier and materials requirements and to foster continuous improvement (cost, service, price), innovation and timeliness of delivery
- Attend (or delegate to a suitably able and informed individual in your team) regular Design/S&M/Manufacturing reviews with both the leadership and functions which have operational activities, pro-actively ensuring that appropriate action is taken should problems with performance, attendance conduct, and risks/non-compliance be identified.
- Develop and maintain KPI’s to direct your function and provide meaningful management information to other parts of the business.
- Champion Health & Safety to ensure compliance with relevant codes and industry practices to ensure IWT is a safe place to work and our products exceed our customer expectations
- Adhere always to the Company’s policies and other applicable standards and procedures.
- Fulfil and comply with the terms and conditions of your contract of employment with the Company.
- Review your job through the performance process, at least annually, with the objective of achieving continuous improvement; attend training courses as necessary for business awareness and self-development.
- Ensure compliance with all regulatory and customer approvals, to ensure that the business conforms to all applicable laws, guidelines, regulations and appropriate quality standards i.e CIPS best practice, Bribery & Corruption, Modern Slavery.
- Review, at least annually, all Company HR agreements to ensure that they adhere to latest relevant legislation and to ensure that they contain the most advantageous terms for Ifor Williams Trailers and minimum risk
- At all times, professionally represent Ifor Williams Trailers and its employees.
- Through leading and participation in reviews, meetings and communications with your team, provide control, leadership and motivation to all direct reports, maintain discipline and improve employee relations. Address all issues within your function where your team fail to meet either yours or the businesses’ performance needs.
- Develop and train your staff to improve their abilities and to enable them to accept change, by conducting reviews with your direct reports and cascading this process throughout the team, in line with the Company’s policies.
- Any other duties considered necessary to fulfil your role and the changing needs of the business.
- Degree educated with experience as a seasoned practitioner in procurement and supply chain issues and solutions
- CIPS Member and Qualification with demonstration of continuous professional development
Project Management and IT Implementations skills/qualities (poss qualification ie Prince)
Change Management and Leadership Development experience (poss qualification CILT)