Lead Commercial Category Manager
The Crown Prosecution Service is at the heart of the criminal justice system in England and Wales. We are a leading voice in transforming the criminal justice system, using our legal expertise and digital capability to make the public safer and build the confidence of our diverse communities. We are expanding and developing our Commercial Function to deliver a wide-ranging, transformative commercial strategy and are recruiting a number of posts to ensure we have the best knowledge, expertise and experience to continue to support this vital work now and in the future.
The work of the Commercial team matters. We are central to delivering the CPS vision; sourcing and managing the best suppliers to deliver the highest quality services and unlocking innovation to drive transformation in service delivery. The Commercial work is varied, diverse and most importantly delivers real and immediate impact to our services and directly supports the work of our lawyers to deliver justice for victims and witnesses. Commercial are embedded in major transformation programmes that provide exciting opportunities to deliver complex commercial outcomes.
CPS puts people at the heart of everything we do. We passionately believe in empowering and developing our Commercial team, providing the support, training and qualifications required to grow in your role. It is important to us to recruit from a wide range of professional and personal backgrounds, bringing different perspectives, experiences and diversity of thought that adds wealth to our culture. It is an exciting time to join the CPS Commercial Function. These roles provide you with the opportunity to be at the heart of our transformation and make a real contribution to our future Commercial strategy. You will work with global suppliers, internal experts and passionate colleagues to deliver the best solutions for our world-leading services.
The Commercial Team sits within the Digital, Commercial and Information Directorate within the CPS; leading the end to end commercial lifecycle activities, the team is structured with a Procurement team, Contract Management team, Complex procurements, Exit and Policy.
This role is within the newly created Category Team within the Commercial team.
The Category Management team primarily manage the procurement and contract management of portfolios of contracts including digital and non-digital commodities. Working closely with CPS stakeholders the Category team develop and deliver appropriate sourcing strategies to achieve value for money for the organisation.
Responsibility for delivering and promoting commercial activity across a broad range of allocated goods and services including but not limited to; the development of procurement and contracting strategies, compiling tenders, placing and managing service contracts, providing commercial advice to internal and external stakeholders, driving service delivery improvements and project management, underpinning these activities with a focus on achieving excellent value for money.
We are seeking an individual who will bring their experience of developing and operating within a Category structure, being a trusted advisor to stakeholders, who can dynamically advocate the benefits of category management. As category lead you will line manage one or more people within your category area supporting their professional development and skills.
Please note that this role can be based in any CPS office location, however successful candidates must be prepared to travel to York / London as and when required.
- Lead on the design and delivery of the procurement and contracting strategies for nominated categories of goods and services.
- Manage delivery of category plans, including procurement and contract management priorities, resource allocation and reporting to SLT on risks and issues. Allocate resources both within category and to support delivery across the commercial function, including allocating stretch projects in support of business plan delivery.
- Lead team to deliver effective procurements to deliver value for money and/or drive added value through contract management and assurance of team activities within governance model.
- Pro-actively identify project delays and resourcing difficulties, mitigate these to ensure smooth delivery. Meet customer expectations and keep purchasing programmes and individual projects on track.
- Provide commercial advice to team members, colleagues and both internal and external stakeholders.
- Support the Head of Category in the development and implementation of procurement strategy and policy by using the knowledge of their allocated category areas to identify wider service delivery and interpret policy to clients and customers across the organisation. Manage own procurements including development of the specification, evaluation criteria, terms and conditions and other documentation, drafting Contract Notices and Contract Award Notices for publication in the Official Journal of the European Union (OJEU).
- Draft formal ‘Recommendations of Contract Award’ documentation and submit for approval to the Head of Category and SRO.
- Work across B3 network to provide additional resource as appropriate.
- Plan and manage the handover of contracts to operational teams, providing contract management expertise and support according to contract size and risk profile. Negotiate with suppliers in category for both contract award and contract change controls.
- Demonstrate understanding of all statutory and other legal requirements necessary for the delivery of competitive tender exercises and apply that knowledge to achieve successful outcomes, ensuring prompt turn-around times.
- - Represent the CPS at cross-government meetings and/or chair other meetings with suppliers, customers and stakeholders (internal and external) for the purpose of monitoring supplier performance and commercial compliance; provide direction and advice to all parties, make decisions and ensure the right commercial approach is adopted to help deliver CPS requirements.
- Prepare and deliver effective and targeted presentations to inform, influence and persuade senior internal and external stakeholders in order to deliver business outcomes recognising the importance of balancing the CPS and supplier’s objectives.
- Contribute to the drafting of the Commercial Team annual Business Plan at operational, tactical and strategic level, by providing both verbal and written commentary and suggestions.
- May have direct line management of a Commercial Manager, responsible for all aspects of their performance and career development, including the maintenance of professional procurement competencies.
- Indirect management/supervision/mentoring/support of other members of the team, agency staff, apprentices and interim consultants, contractors deployed to work with them on specific projects and/or contracts.
- Plus any other duties relevant to the role purpose and grade.