Commercial Purchasing Manager
The Crown Prosecution Service is at the heart of the criminal justice system in England and Wales. We are a leading voice in transforming the criminal justice system, using our legal expertise and digital capability to make the public safer and build the confidence of our diverse communities. We are expanding and developing our Commercial Function to deliver a wide-ranging, transformative commercial strategy to ensure we have the best knowledge, expertise and experience to continue to support this vital work now and in the future.
The work of the Commercial team matters. We are central to delivering the CPS vision; sourcing and managing the best suppliers to deliver the highest quality services and unlocking innovation to drive transformation in service delivery. The Commercial work is varied, diverse and most importantly delivers real and immediate impact to our services and directly supports the work of our lawyers to deliver justice for victims and witnesses. Commercial are embedded in major transformation programmes that provide exciting opportunities to deliver complex commercial outcomes.
CPS puts people at the heart of everything we do. We passionately believe in empowering and developing our Commercial team, providing the support, training and qualifications required to grow in your role. It is important to us to recruit from a wide range of professional and personal backgrounds, bringing different perspectives, experiences and diversity of thought that adds wealth to our culture. It is an exciting time to join the CPS Commercial Function. These roles provide you with the opportunity to be at the heart of our transformation and make a real contribution to our future Commercial strategy. You will work with global suppliers, internal experts and passionate colleagues to deliver the best solutions for our world-leading services.
The Commercial Team sits within the Digital, Commercial and Information Directorate within the CPS; leading the end to end commercial lifecycle activities, the team is structured with a Procurement team, Contract Management team, Complex procurements, Exit and Policy.
This role, operating in a fast-paced environment within the newly formed Contract Management team, will primarily support the management of strategic relationships with external suppliers delivering large-scale, multi-dependent, complex contracts, including both digital and non-digital services.
Responsibility for delivering commercial activity across a broad range of allocated goods and services including but not limited to; transactional purchasing, supporting the development of procurement and contracting strategies, reporting and analysis of contract and spend data, managing contracts, providing commercial advice to internal and external stakeholders, driving service delivery improvements and project management, underpinning these activities with a focus on achieving excellent value for money.
We are seeking an individual who is enthusiastic about process and systems and the continuous improvement thereof! Unlike other roles at this level we are not looking to rotate this position across the categories as this is unique in the remit and requires dedication to maintain! We are however looking for someone who would like to build on their skills to develop their professional abilities and CIPS is encouraged and supported. As the consistent face of the team to the customer across the CPS this role is pivotal to providing a customer centric service. Working on corporate systems to understand, extract and analyse data to support the work of the purchasing team and category leads.
As a manager for this area you will line manage one or more people supporting their professional development and skills.
Please note that this role can be based in any CPS office location, however successful candidates must be prepared to travel to York / London as and when required.
- Support the design and delivery of the procurement, purchasing and contracting strategies for nominated categories of goods and services.
- Act as first line contact for transactional purchasing queries and general procurement queries from internal customers on behalf of the whole commercial team
- Support the delivery of category plans, including procurement and contract management priorities, and reporting to Lead on risks and issues.
- Deliver effective procurement with a focus on transactional purchasing to deliver value for money and/or drive added value through contract management within governance model.
- Pro-actively deliver management information including but not limited to spend data and supplier performance.
- Meet customer expectations and keep purchasing programmes and individual projects on track.
- Provide commercial advice to team members, colleagues and both internal and external stakeholders.
- Support the category Lead in the development and implementation of procurement strategy and policy by using evidence-based reporting and analysis
- Promote and enforce commercial policy to clients and customers across the organisation. .
- Demonstrate understanding of all statutory and other legal requirements necessary for the delivery of competitive tender exercises and apply that knowledge to achieve successful outcomes, ensuring prompt turn-around times.
- May have direct line management of an Administrative staff and Apprentice; responsible for all aspects of their performance and career development, including the maintenance of professional procurement competencies.
- Plus, any other duties relevant to the role purpose and grade.