Head of Procurement
- Leading the Procurement and Insurance functions for an award winning University
- 2020: Guardian 'University of the Year'; THE 'Outstanding Entrepreneurial Uni'
About Our Client
Founded in 1895 and a University since 1966, Aston is a long established research-led university known for its world-class teaching quality and strong links to business and the professions.
- Review, shape and implement Procurement and Insurance strategies that contribute to Aston's strategic aims and objectives, with particular focus on value for money, sustainability and social value
- Create and implement fit for purpose commercial policies, processes and controls aligned to Aston's strategic aims and objectives, Financial Regulations, ability to manage commercial risk and service delivery
- Develop and secure appropriate resources to deliver a long term sustainable benefits plan and programme complete with commercial and operational targets for Procurement and Insurance Services activities
- Develop and agree mechanisms for collecting, retaining, measuring and reporting procurement benefits
- Create a Procurement resource deploying and developing a category management approach and developing wider commercial capability across Aston's commercial activities through (for example) the creation of stakeholder forums, user induction and training
- Effectively align resources, engage and collaborate with all appropriate stakeholders to determine business requirements and then drive and deliver the agreed long term programme of activities and benefits
- Create and implement supplier/commercial management strategy, including
- Developing sourcing and supplier assessment strategies
- Developing, agreeing and maintaining template contractual requirements with Aston's General Counsel and with organisations such as the Higher Education Purchasing Consortia for framework agreements
- Deployment of SLA templates, action plans and robust meetings protocol
- Designing, developing and implementing a contracts database to enable timely procurement interventions
- Leverage and managing major supplier relationships improving commercial and service delivery
- Engaging immediate major supplier issues
- Improve total costs of ownership through decreasing transactional costs e.g. ensuring that Procurement makes best us of the data and tools made available by Aston's P2P system
- Create and deliver with appropriate stakeholders a system for effective whole life management of assets from asset register to asset disposal
- Act as a role model, motivate, lead, mentor, manage and develop the capability of the Procurement and Insurance Services team
- Provide a strategic Procurement lead to decision making forums and major projects across all Colleges and Directorates/Departments within Aston. Generate commercial options to enhance and then secure commercial performance improvements using (for example) whole life costs models and business case approaches
- Provide, and ensure that the Procurement and Insurance Services team members have the capabilities required to provide, a professional source of Procurement knowledge and expertise to Aston.
- Champion the role as the Procurement ambassador and representative for Aston with external agencies including Higher Education Purchasing Consortia, such as the Southern Universities Purchasing Consortium (SUPC).
- Engage in continuous personal and professional development in line with the demands of the role, including undertaking relevant training and development activities to develop yourself and support the development of others.
- Ensure and promote the personal health, safety and wellbeing of staff and students.
- Carry out duties in a way which promotes fairness in all matters and which engenders trust.
- Promote equality of opportunity and support diversity and inclusion as well as working to support the University's social value and sustainability agendas and practices.
The Successful Applicant
Extensive procurement experience, including EU ("OJEU") and UK Public Contracts Regulations compliant practices and procedures gained at senior management level in a higher education institution or public sector organisation
Proven track record in:
- designing and successfully implementing procurement strategies, policies and processes, achieving significant and quantifiable benefits across a wide range of goods and services
- developing innovative solutions and contributing to organisation strategic planning
- successfully implementing change management projects
- influencing senior management and stakeholders effectively in a multi stakeholder organisation
- proactively leading and developing teams to deliver significant change
Experience of sourcing major contracts and services including outsourcing
Experience of the successful development, implementation and application of supplier relationship management and contract management strategies, policies and procedures
Private Sector commercial experience gained at senior management level
Successful implementation of a Procurement strategy
Procurement consultancy experience
Previously worked in a Head of Procurement position
Demonstration of programme management for a series of simultaneous projects
Category management experience of Estates, IT and Professional Services categories.
Experience in managing insurance portfolios
Experience of insurance processes and procedures
What's on Offer
£51,034 to £59,135 per annum plus a wide range of staff benefits including:
30 days annual leave plus a minimum of 13 days Bank Holidays and University Closed Days
Dynamic Working Environment - you deliver your priorities in a flexible way whilst maintaining service delivery https://www2.aston.ac.uk/staff-public/hr/policies/dynamic-working
Employee travel pass scheme
Car park scheme
Low emission car lease scheme
Aston gym memberships
Employee Assistance Programme
Where specific UK qualifications are required we will take into account overseas equivalents. All third party applications will be forwarded to Michael Page.
Ref Code: MPYCJN0620212935674Z