Commercial Practitioner - C2
- In order to apply you must complete a suitability statement and attach it to the CV
- In order to apply you must be willing to complete government security clearance
About Our Client
The world is changing - Digital is at the heart of this and in Defence we are working to place the latest technologies in the hands of operational and business users.
Defence Digital Commercial (DDCmrcl) is the core team responsible for delivering outstanding value for Defence across its exploitation of digital and information technologies, through our oversight and management of all third-party IT spend for Defence.
We are responsible for a large portfolio of complex contracts worth £2bn a year, through more than 300 suppliers. We operate across five categories - Networks, Hardware and Services, Military Technology, Software and Hosting and Professional Services - engaging with suppliers of all sizes and specialisms across the technology and defence landscape aiming to reduce third-party costs and ensure tax-payer value.
Our wide-ranging Strategic Supplier Management programme is building a centre of commercial excellence, with a team of almost 200 people focussed on getting the most financially astute outcomes across all our contracts. We are developing a more strategic approach to supplier relationship management and implementing new ways of working that will embed good practice category management.
This is an exceptionally exciting time within DDCmrcl and we are seeking commercial experts in IT categories to share their experience and to influence to help run the business of Defence with greater accuracy, speed, productivity and efficiency.
1 - Job Description & Responsibilities
Roles and Responsibilities
As a Commercial Practitioner within DDCmrcl you will be assigned a portfolio of suppliers within your category. You will be responsible for:
- Providing your expertise to Defence Digital project delivery teams to influence and inform the sourcing of new goods and services from 3rd parties
- Proactive market insight which includes a coordinated monitoring of potential and existing suppliers in a strategic and dynamic way
- Define and run Procurement processes in line with public sector regulations and using agreed tools and systems
- Selecting appropriate suppliers using relevant evaluation criteria and responsible for ensuring value for money for the duration of supplier engagement
- Negotiating favourable terms for pricing and contract terms that deliver immediate and ongoing financial and non-financial benefits
- Identification, definition and tracking of financial and non-financial benefits and savings
- Ongoing proactive management of key supplier relationships
- Effective management of full life cycle of the contracts including managing changes and ensuring ongoing value and service quality standards are delivered
- Commercial risk identification, mitigation and management
- Supporting category management maturity improvements by identifying opportunities to further enhance the value delivered by DDCmrcl
- Intelligently developing and deploying a range of sourcing strategies in cooperation with internal stakeholders
- Supporting continuous improvement and change management, using knowledge and experience to influence and embed good practice across the sourcing lifecycle
- Supporting the senior commercial officers in the negotiation of complex contracts
- Hold formal delegated powers of up to £2.5M
- Providing specialist advice on commercial policies and processes to other teams for e.g. delivery group
- Potential line management responsibilities based on skill set and business requirement
- Providing coaching, support and leadership to junior team members; acting as a role-model and inspiring leader
- Champion, embed and promote Diversity & Inclusion as part of the DD Commercial team culture
The Successful Applicant
2 - Behaviours
Collaborative individual with a positive attitude
- Proactive with solutions to complex issues
- Able to anticipate problems, provide creative solutions
- Able to effectively challenge stakeholders to deliver the right outcomes
- Flexible attitude and ability to work to tight deadlines
- Effective communicator, able to clearly articulate messages adapted to the needs of the audience
- Motivates and inspires and has the confidence of the team and their peers
- Build and maintain a working culture of mutual trust and inclusion
- Clear decision maker and takes accountability for decisions made
- Effective at prioritisation and managing workload and time effectively
- Embraces change and improvement
- Provide a quality service
- Deliver at pace, results and output orientated
- Takes ownership of own development and actively seeks to learn new skills which add value to the team
3 - Knowledge
- Awareness of Supplier Management
- Awareness of Category management
- Good understanding of Contract Management
- Good understanding of end to end sourcing and procurement processes
- Awareness of Change Management processes
- Good understanding of Industry and Governmental contracts and procedures
- Good understanding of contract knowledge, with the ability to understand and apply commercial principles including NDAs, MOUs, Sub and Prime contracts etc
4 - Competences, Skills and Qualifications
- Can demonstrate experience of working in a commercial role supporting large sourcing projects, multi million pound service contract management and high value contract negotiation
- Experience in handling complex, medium sized contracts
- Experience in managing end to end procurement process for medium and large value contracts
- Practical experience and expertise in requirements gathering
- Practical experience in utilising market insight to aid strategic sourcing and contract management
- Robust commercial negotiation of commercial and contractual terms, pricing and discounts
- Practical experience and expertise in Contract management, including managing contracts from contract award to contract closeout
- Experience in delivering savings and benefits tracking
- Ability to analyse, interpret and draft contractual wording with a strong attention to detail
- Candidates are required to have CIPS level 4 or to commit to working towards this qualification as part of their role
During the selection process you will be assessed against the following criteria:
- Leadership and Judgment
- Understanding Needs and Sourcing Options & Contract and Supplier Management
What's on Offer
You will receive:
- Hybrid working options including home working where appropriate. Office locations are primarily in Bristol, Corsham and London but may change to accommodate other business requirements
- Learning and development tailored to your role including Mentoring and Job Shadowing
- A supportive and friendly Commercial Function
- A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity
- A competitive package including a generous 20+ % civil service pension
- On-site parking, sports facilities, staff restaurant and coffee shops
- A Commercial Market Skills Allowance of £1500 per annum will be payable to staff on completion of CIPS Level 4 and the Commercial Licence Assessment (you will be supported in completing the Level 4 CIPS qualification)
Things you need to know
Successful candidates must meet the security requirements before they can be appointed. The level of security needed is security check.
People working with government assets must complete basic personnel security standard checks.
Selection process details
This vacancy is using Success Profiles, and will assess your Behaviours, Experience and Technical skills.
Sift is CV & Personal Statement;
Interview will be based on demonstration of evidence of technical skills, success profile behaviours and experience.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
This job is broadly open to the following groups:
- UK nationals
- nationals of Commonwealth countries who have the right to work in the UK
- nationals of the Republic of Ireland
- nationals from the EU, EEA or Switzerland with settled or pre-settled status or who apply for either status by the deadline of the European Union Settlement Scheme (EUSS)
- relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals working in the Civil Service
- relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals who have built up the right to work in the Civil Service
- certain family members of the relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunities. As such, we run a Disability Confident Scheme (DCS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
Apply and further information
Once this job has closed, the job advert will no longer be available. You may want to save a copy for your records.
Where specific UK qualifications are required we will take into account overseas equivalents. All third party applications will be forwarded to Michael Page.
Ref Code: MPYCJN -072021-2941299Z