Salary: £31,931 per annum
Contract Type: Open-Ended
Hours: Full Time
Based at: Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, Didcot, Oxon/Hybrid Working
Closing Date: 2nd December 2021
Interviews: Week commencing 13th December 2021
New and exciting public procurement opportunity at the Rutherford Appleton Lab near Didcot, Oxfordshire!
What we offer
We recognise and value employees as individuals and aim to provide a pay and rewards package that motivates staff to perform to the best of their ability and maintain a good work/life balance. This includes opportunities to develop your career through training and personal development, 30 days' annual leave plus 10.5 public and privilege days, flexible working hours, an outstanding defined benefit pension scheme, access to employee shopping/travel discounts and salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme.
RAL Procurement Officers, working with and reporting to RAL Procurement Managers, support research staff on all of their complex procurement projects. Procurement Officers play a key part in ensuring that procurements are run in the correct manner and that our organisation obtains maximum benefit.
This Procurement Officer role will add to the wider, decentralised UKRI team. The role will be responsible for:
- Providing local expertise and support to end-users to undertake a range of procurement tasks (varying in both value and complexity) including sourcing and contracting
- Provision of expert advice on all aspects of regulations and controls and representing UKRI's risk appetite in procurement decisions
- Keeping local end-users up to date with UKRI procurement policy and best practice in public procurement
- Acting as initial contact and escalation route to the local Procurement Manager or Commercial Business Manager
- Supporting the development of local procurement and contract management skill
- Have a good general education and qualifications
- Have experience and be able to demonstrate a knowledge of public procurement
- Have skills in the production of procurement documents and it is desirable to have used e-sourcing applications
- MCIPS qualified/part qualified or to have a business qualification
- Experience using e-sourcing applications
- Experience working in a technical organisation
The Rutherford Appleton Laboratory (RAL) pioneers work in areas including particle physics, scientific computing, laser development, space research, and technology which addresses some of the important challenges facing society. A laboratory has existed on the Chilton site since 1957 and today approximately 1200 staff work on the site with a significant number of scientists and engineers, from both the university research community and industrial research base, using our facilities.
RAL is part of the Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC), itself a part of UK Research and Innovation (UKRI).
UKRI is a non-departmental public body, bringing together the functions of the seven Research Councils, Innovate UK, and Research England and seeks to maximise value from government's investment in research and innovation of over £6bn per annum.
RAL spend is complex and accounts for 30% of UKRI's total procurement spend of more than £520m per annum. RAL buys a wide range of complex and sometimes unique products and services including equipment, technical services and infrastructure to support a range of end-users. The organisation works in partnership with a shared services centre which supports contracting for common goods and services.
The UKRI Commercial Function provides a wide range of commercial support to the whole organisation. The majority of its effort is focussed on the management of the whole procurement cycle including planning, sourcing and contract management in a compliant manner while providing value for money.
How to Apply
Applicants are required to include a CV and cover letter outlining their suitability for this role.
Applications are handled by UK Shared Business Services, to apply please visit our job board.
The closing date for applications is 2nd December 2021.