Join the Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA) as a Commercial Manager in the Greater Glasgow Area, delivering some of the most extraordinary work in UK defence. We’re pleased to support flexible and remote working, and promote an ‘attend for a purpose’ approach, therefore you may be required to visit site (HMNB Clyde, Faslane) from time to time in this role.
You may have already worked in defence, or perhaps your experience lies in the construction, engineering or transportation industry (or something else entirely!). No matter what your background, if you have skills and experience in contract management and you’re excited to take on meaningful projects that help to protect and support the UK Armed Forces, we want to hear from you.
As an SDA Commercial Manager, you’ll have the opportunity to play both lead and supporting roles, working closely with Senior Management as well as personally leading on specific work streams, supporting cross-functional teams, or leading on senior stakeholder engagement. You’ll be tasked with delivering maximum value via contract management activities, influencing commercial strategy and addressing the consequences of any changes that occur.
While you’ll already have experience in contract management, access to outstanding training and development opportunities will underpin your continued professional development in this role, allowing you to grow to grow and develop your career in commercial management.
As well as funding for industry-recognised qualifications (CIPS), you’ll have the guidance of a dedicated development officer, an experienced commercial mentor, and a large network of knowledgeable peers and colleagues to support you as you gain the skills and experience to deliver work that impacts the defence of the nation.
SDA. Delivering the extraordinary beneath the waves.
Responsibilities of the Commercial Manager
The responsibilities of this post will include, but not be limited to, the following:
• Accountable for determining the appropriate commercial strategy for project requirements within own delegation.
• Drafting, delivering and making recommendations for strategy plans, commercial management plans, ensuring all contracts adhere to EU procurement regulations and Government policy.
• Lead contract management and ensure all parties are held accountable to meet their contracted obligations to ensure effective delivery of contract requirements.
• Develop and deliver Pre-Qualification Questionnaire (PQQ), Invitation To Tender (ITT) and contract documentation ensuring adherence with MOD policy and legislation.
• Negotiate terms and pricing, place and manage contracts and contract amendments up to a maximum delegation of £10M in accordance with set guidelines.
• Manage Commercial Assistants and Commercial Officers as required.
• Conduct assurance and due diligence of commercial activity within own area of responsibility in order to provide confidence in commercial outcomes.
• Provide support and assistance to commercial enabling teams to assist delivery of Business Improvement projects.
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
• Relevant sourcing or contract management experience
• Proficient IT skills including Microsoft Office and ability to use IT systems and programmes.
• Once in post, you will be supported to achieve Government Commercial Function (GCF) professional standard through Practitioner Level Accreditation Panel
It would benefit your application if you be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
• Hold a minimum of a CIPS Level 4 Foundation Diploma
• Once in post, you will be required to work towards and achieve a minimum of CIPS Level 4. We will also support your ongoing development to obtain Levels 5 and 6, including attendance at defence commercial professionalism courses to develop commercial skills and ensure on-going Continuing Professional Development.
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
• Contract Management
• Tender Bid & Process
• Managing a quality service
Please note – you must hold sole UK nationality to be eligible for this opportunity.
What’s in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market leading employer pension contributions of around 27% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday plus one additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Discover more about this opportunity on the Defence Equipment & Support website, who manage all of our vacancies.
Application closing date: 16th January 2022