DIO - Commercial Manager X28
£33,000 + substantial pension and benefits + £1,500 Commercial Market Skills Allowance (MSA); individuals are eligible once essential criteria for this allowance is met. Please note that this allowance will be pro-rated for Part Time staff (DO NOT ADVERTISE SALARY AS £34,500)
Number of posts 28
Andover SP11 8HJ, Catterick DL9 3LR, Glasgow G2 8EX, Whittington WS14 9TJ, Wyton PE28 2EA, Portsmouth PO1 3GB, Plymouth PL2 2BG
Join the Defence Infrastructure Organisation (DIO) and have a future that matters: Be proud; Be challenged; Be unique.
Position will attract £1,500 Commercial Market Skills Allowance (MSA); individuals are eligible once essential criteria for this allowance is met. Please note that this allowance will be pro-rated for Part Time staff
If you are an outstanding Procurement or Contract Management Professional who wants to see the unseen and work for a great organisation, then keep reading.
Join the DIO and support our mission. “Caring for Defence Estate and those that depend on it, enabling Defence to live, work, train and deploy.”
We are looking for experienced professionals with a background in Procurement or Contract Management. Would you like to be a part of team passionate about supporting and delivering capital projects and services across the defence estate?
Are you interested in being part of delivering unique and complex infrastructure for armed forces? From estate optimisation to building runways for fighter jets; we do it all!
Still interested, you should be!
You will work with diverse, committed and upbeat people who all bring different skills and experiences to the teams thus crafting an environment of continual learning. You are likely to work with military colleagues, civil servants and consultants of all grades and ranks.
Responsible for supporting:
- The strategic relationship with suppliers and internal and external customers while building collaboration within and across organisational boundaries.
- The development and management of key sourcing activities to meet project goals while minimising risk.
- The trusted advisor in Procurement and Contract Management commercial initiatives to both customers and your team members, ensuring compliance to the appropriate processes and operating procedures.
DIO typically has over 800 major construction and Facilities Management (FM) projects worth over £20Bn in procurement at any time. We place all contracts needed to support the management of over 1100 sites; 134,000 buildings; 56,000 houses and 640,000 hectares of land. Our procurement teams are typically aligned to particular customers including the Armed Forces and other Defence organisations. As a Commercial Manager, you will be taking commercial responsibility for getting the best value from your own set of procurements. The roles typically include providing advice and agreeing the right commercial strategy and route to market, preparing invitations to tender, running the procurement, managing the evaluation processes and negotiating multi-million pound contracts. Our largest and most complex projects may be in procurement and approvals for a couple of years before you transition them to the contract management team. Whilst for smaller in-year projects, you might also take on their contract management. To succeed in our team, you will need to be organised, team-oriented, delivery focussed, and with the ability to create and maintain effective relationships with suppliers. Aside from great commercial skills, and the experience needed to work at this level, we are keen to find people with construction experience and familiarity with the NEC suite of contracts. In return, we can offer you great training, a strong team ethos, and an opportunity to be proud of your work.
From feeding the Armed Forces, to making sure the Defence Estate is maintained properly and kept safe and legal, our Contract Management teams have commercial oversight of some of the biggest contracts in the UK. As a Commercial Manager, you will be leading a category focussed team, working with customers and suppliers to make sure services are delivered properly, and to the best possible commercial value. You will need to work with delivery teams to make sure contracts and the data around them are kept up to date, that both suppliers and Defence meet contracted obligations, maintaining a drumbeat of review and governance. At all times, you will need to keep an eye on alternative options, planning for exit, reducing potential liabilities and managing risk. To succeed in our team, you will need to be organised, team-oriented, delivery focussed, with strong communication skills and the ability to create and maintain effective relationships with suppliers. Aside from great commercial skills, and the experience needed to work at this level, we are keen to find people who can help us develop category management. Experience of Private Finance Initiative (PFIs) would also be valuable for some roles. In return, we can offer you great training, a strong team ethos, and an opportunity to be proud of your work.
We enable our people to work at the right place, with the right people, at the right time.
We believe that if we look after our people, they will be passionate about delivering great things for our customers.
We understand the importance of life outside of work and our industry leading flexible working practices, digital technology and modern workspaces will give you the opportunity to enjoy a healthy work-life balance.
The MOD Discover My Benefits page lists the full set of benefits. Some of the many benefits you will receive include:
- Highly competitive Pension Scheme
- Flexi-time scheme
- Alternative working practices such as working from home
- 25 days annual leave rising (1 day per year) to 30 days upon completion of 5 years’ service
- Ability to roll over up to 10 days annual leave per year
- In addition to 8 public holidays per year you will also receive leave for HM The Queen’s birthday
- Minimum of 15 Days Special Leave in a rolling 12-month period to for volunteer military or emergency service reserve commitments
- Special Paid Leave for volunteering up to 6 days a year
- Enhanced maternity, paternity and adoption leave
- Employee Assistance Programme to support your wellbeing
- Most sites have good travel links with free car parking; many also have other facilities such as a Sports & Social Club, Gym and / or site shops
Learning & Development
- Professional and Personal Development of skills
- Access to thousands of training courses through Civil Service Learning, some free or paid by DIO
- Ability to obtain industry recognised qualifications supported by DIO