Head of Operational Procurement
After a long period of collaborative working, Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust (BSUH) merged with Western Sussex Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust (WSHT) in April 2021 to form University Hospitals Sussex NHS Foundation Trust (UHSussex). This integration has created one of the largest acute trusts in the UK and a workforce of 20,000, hosting 1.5 million outpatient appointments, A&E visits and surgery cases every year.
UHSussex is a vibrant and inclusive organisation with patient care at our core. Our hard-working, talented and dedicated people work together towards a common goal – to always put our Patient First. Allied to this, in January 2022, we launched our Patient First, Planet First Green Plan setting out our approach to supporting the NHS to become the world’s first net zero health service.
This is an exciting time to join UHSussex. Our new 3Ts Hospital, part of the Government’s Future Hospitals Programme, will open in 2023. The hospital is a critical part of the Trust’s strategic vision, including delivery of its clinical strategy, representing an opportunity to improve system wide services for people across Sussex.
Head of Operational Procurement – £54,764 - £63,862 (AfC Band 8b)
The Head of Operational Procurement will join a recently formed Commercial Directorate, which followed the Trust merger and brought together two separate Procurement Teams into a single structure and strengthened the commercial expertise within the Trust.
The Head of Operational Procurement is part of the senior procurement leadership team within UHSussex. The post-holder will be responsible the provision of a comprehensive operational procurement service ensuring that all buying activities are compliant with national procurement regulations and Trust Standing Financial Instructions. The post-holder will provide leadership to the Trust’s Materials Management Service, incorporating the Receipt and Distribution function.
The Head of Operational Procurement will have responsibility for all procurement systems including the e-procurement system, catalogue management system, contract management database and e-tendering system. The post-holder will lead on the development of these systems ensuring that these are utilised to their fullest extent including for reporting and analytical purposes.
Key responsibilities will include;
- Lead, develop and manage the Operational Procurement Team, building a collaborative working environment and a culture of collaboration, innovation and continuous improvement
- Build and maintain the reputation of the procurement service as a highly professional and enabling business partnering service
- Provide expert guidance and counsel in relation to operational procurement, procurement regulations and procurement-related areas of Standing Financial Instructions
- Produce reports on Procurement activity for internal audiences including Sustainability Committee and Trust Management Board as well as external audiences including NHS England and the Sussex Health and Care Partnership
- Co-ordinate the response to procurement-related Freedom of Information requests, liaising with the Trust’s FOI team as needed and ensuring that statutory deadlines are met
- Manage and develop electronic procurement systems taking account of national requirements around GS1 and PEPPOL
- Ensure the effective and efficient delivery of a high quality and comprehensive Materials Management and Receipt and Distribution service to the Trust in additional to timely responses on the processing of purchase orders
The successful Head of Operational procurement will hold;
- MCIPS/FCIPS or MBA/Master’s Degree in a relevant field such as Purchasing, Supply, Logistics
- Experience in a procurement leadership position within a complex service-delivery focussed organisation
- Ability to present and explain complex commercial matters to a range of stakeholders
- Ability to develop policy and procedure for operational procurement areas
UHSussex are working in partnership with Castlefield Recruitment to source this position. For further information on applying please contact Luis Covell.
General information for applicants
As an organisation, UHSussex support an inclusive culture and diversity for our staff. We are committed to encouraging further development and growth from diverse groups, and we welcome applications from people of all abilities and from under-represented groups, which we are able to support with our range of flexible and inclusive options. Applications from those interested in working part-time, job share or another flexible approach are welcomed.
The Trust offers a wide range of active staff groups including our network groups for LGBTQ+, Disability, and SOAR for our Black, Asian and ethnic minority colleagues and allies. Membership and participation in these networks is encouraged.
Applications for Skilled Worker sponsorship are welcome for those that meet the Visa and Immigrations eligibility criteria. For further information please visit the gov.uk website searching for Skilled Worker.
Apply for Head of Operational Procurement
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly