Head of Category – Corporate & IT
After a long period of collaborative working, Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust (BSUH) merged with Western Sussex Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust (WSHT) in April 2021 to form University Hospitals Sussex NHS Foundation Trust (UHSussex). This integration has created one of the largest acute trusts in the UK and a workforce of 20,000, hosting 1.5 million outpatient appointments, A&E visits and surgery cases every year.
UHSussex is a vibrant and inclusive organisation with patient care at our core. Our hard-working, talented and dedicated people work together towards a common goal – to always put our Patient First. Allied to this, in January 2022, we launched our Patient First, Planet First Green Plan setting out our approach to supporting the NHS to become the world’s first net zero health service.
This is an exciting time to join UHSussex. Our new 3Ts Hospital, part of the Government’s Future Hospitals Programme, will open in 2023. The hospital is a critical part of the Trust’s strategic vision, including delivery of its clinical strategy, representing an opportunity to improve system wide services for people across Sussex.
Head of Category – Corporate & IT – £54,764 - £63,862 (AfC Band 8b)
The Head of Category (Corporate & IT) will join a recently formed Commercial Directorate, which followed the Trust merger and brought together two separate Procurement Teams into a single structure and strengthened the commercial expertise within the Trust.
The Head of Category (Corporate & IT) will lead a team of procurement professionals within one of four specialist category areas for the Trust. The post will be responsible for developing relationships externally with suppliers and NHS Category Towers and internally as a business partner to a number of corporate departments. The Head of Category will ensure that the market and service knowledge of the category team is used to deliver procurements and contracts that maximise value for money, comply with internal governance requirements and relevant legislation whilst balancing the demands of service delivery in a dynamic, multi-site acute and teaching hospital.
The Head of Category (Corporate & IT) will also ensure the provision of specialist procurement advice to corporate departments to support ongoing contract management.
Key responsibilities will include;
- Develop and deliver commercial procurement strategies that cover multiple divisions requiring supplier innovation, senior stakeholder engagement, and/or market building/shaping
- Carry out procurements for contracts that require analysis, comparison, and assessment
- Critically assess markets and competitive behaviour undertaken by all suppliers within the relevant categories and take action to improve or protect the Trust’s interests across the whole contract life cycle
- Provide specialist procurement advice to operational and corporate departments to support ongoing contract management
- Co-ordinate clinical and operational engagement in the selection of new products and equipment including establishing equipment trials, designing feedback questionnaire, collating and reporting results
- Responsible for ensuring the contract award information is uploaded to the contract management system and for maintaining this information
- Authorise purchase orders and contracts in line with Trust Standing Financial Instructions and Delegated Financial Limits
The successful Head of Category (Corporate & IT) will hold;
- MCIPS/FCIPS or MBA/Master’s Degree in a relevant field such as Purchasing, Supply, Logistics
- Experience in a procurement leadership position within a complex service-delivery focussed organisation
- Significant experience, ideally within a corporate or technology category area and the ability to develop strategy, policy and procedure for the category
- Ability to present and explain complex commercial matters to a range of stakeholders
- Experience of managing and developing staff
UHSussex are working in partnership with Castlefield Recruitment to source this position. For further information on applying please contact Luis Covell.
General information for applicants
As an organisation, UHSussex support an inclusive culture and diversity for our staff. We are committed to encouraging further development and growth from diverse groups, and we welcome applications from people of all abilities and from under-represented groups, which we are able to support with our range of flexible and inclusive options. Applications from those interested in working part-time, job share or another flexible approach are welcomed.
The Trust offers a wide range of active staff groups including our network groups for LGBTQ+, Disability, and SOAR for our Black, Asian and ethnic minority colleagues and allies. Membership and participation in these networks is encouraged.
Applications for Skilled Worker sponsorship are welcome for those that meet the Visa and Immigrations eligibility criteria. For further information please visit the gov.uk website searching for Skilled Worker.