Assistant Director of Procurement (Strategic Capital)
After a long period of collaborative working, Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust (BSUH) merged with Western Sussex Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust (WSHT) in April 2021 to form University Hospitals Sussex NHS Foundation Trust (UHSussex). This integration has created one of the largest acute trusts in the UK and a workforce of 20,000, hosting 1.5 million outpatient appointments, A&E visits and surgery cases every year.
UHSussex is a vibrant and inclusive organisation with patient care at our core. Our hard-working, talented and dedicated people work together towards a common goal – to always put our Patient First. Allied to this, in January 2022, we launched our Patient First, Planet First Green Plan setting out our approach to supporting the NHS to become the world’s first net zero health service.
This is an exciting time to join UHSussex. Our new 3Ts Hospital, part of the Government’s Future Hospitals Programme, will open in 2023. The hospital is a critical part of the Trust’s strategic vision, including delivery of its clinical strategy, representing an opportunity to improve system wide services for people across Sussex.
Assistant Director of Procurement (Strategic Capital) – £65,664 - £75,874 (AfC Band 8c)
The Assistant Director of Procurement (Strategic Capital) post forms part of the senior procurement leadership team of the UHSussex Commercial Directorate. This recently formed Directorate followed the Trust merger and brought together two separate Procurement Teams into a single structure, and strengthened the commercial expertise of the Trust.
The postholder will provide a single point of leadership for capital procurement activities - with a specific focus on procurement activities that support strategic capital programmes and the Trust’s 3Ts Hospital Development Programme.
The 3Ts hospital development programme is a complex capital build programme and part of the Government’s Future Hospitals Programme. It is a critical part of the Trust’s strategic vision, including delivery of its clinical strategy. Stage 1 of the delivery programme is currently moving into a more complex phase with the completion of the capital build, and the commencement of the service design and transition readiness work. At the same time the Trust, with internal and external stakeholders, is mobilising to develop the detailed design and planning process for the subsequent Stages 2 and 3.
The Assistant Director of Procurement (Strategic Capital) will also be involved in key projects outside of the 3Ts programme – including Urgent Treatment Centre and Community Diagnostic Centre projects.
Key responsibilities will include;
- Provide expert guidance and counsel to the Capital Development and 3Ts Programme Team advising on issues with significant, complex, and strategic implications for the Trust’s immediate, medium and long term position
- Lead the negotiation of significant, highly complex, multi-year contracts for services on behalf of the Trust
- Effectively identify and manage risks and strategic opportunities associated with strategic capital procurement across the Trust
- Develop and deliver commercial procurement strategies requiring supplier innovation, senior stakeholder engagement, and/or market building/shaping
- Lead, develop and manage the Strategic Capital procurement team, building a collaborative working environment and a culture of collaboration, innovation and continuous improvement
The successful Assistant Director of Procurement (Strategic Capital) will hold;
- MCIPS/FCIPS, MBA or Master’s Degree in a relevant field such as Purchasing, Supply or Logistics
- Significant experience in a senior procurement leadership position within a complex service-delivery focussed organisation
- Experience of capital redevelopment or equipping programmes would be advantageous
- Ability to present and explain complex commercial matters to a range of stakeholders
UHSussex are working in partnership with Castlefield Recruitment to source this position. For further information on applying please contact Luis Covell.
General information for applicants
As an organisation, UHSussex support an inclusive culture and diversity for our staff. We are committed to encouraging further development and growth from diverse groups, and we welcome applications from people of all abilities and from under-represented groups, which we are able to support with our range of flexible and inclusive options. Applications from those interested in working part-time, job share or another flexible approach are welcomed.
The Trust offers a wide range of active staff groups including our network groups for LGBTQ+, Disability, and SOAR for our Black, Asian and ethnic minority colleagues and allies. Membership and participation in these networks is encouraged.
Applications for Skilled Worker sponsorship are welcome for those that meet the Visa and Immigrations eligibility criteria. For further information please visit the gov.uk website searching for Skilled Worker.
Apply for Assistant Director of Procurement (Strategic Capital)
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly