Associate Commercial Director
After a long period of collaborative working, Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust (BSUH) merged with Western Sussex Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust (WSHT) in April 2021 to form University Hospitals Sussex NHS Foundation Trust (UHSussex). This integration has created one of the largest acute trusts in the UK and a workforce of 20,000, hosting 1.5 million outpatient appointments, A&E visits and surgery cases every year.
UHSussex is a vibrant and inclusive organisation with patient care at our core. Our hardworking, talented and dedicated people work together towards a common goal – to always put our Patient First. Allied to this, in January 2022, we launched our Patient First, Planet First Green Plan setting out our approach to supporting the NHS to become the world’s first net zero health service.
This is an exciting time to join UHSussex. Our new 3Ts Hospital, part of the Government’s Future Hospitals Programme, will open in 2023. The hospital is a critical part of the Trust’s strategic vision, including delivery of its clinical strategy, representing an opportunity to improve system wide services for people across Sussex.
Associate Commercial Director - £93,735 - £108,075 (AfC Band 9)
Our new Associate Commercial Director will join a recently formed Commercial Directorate, which followed the Trust merger and brought together two separate Procurement Teams into a single structure and strengthened the commercial expertise within the Trust.
The Associate Commercial Director will hold responsibility for the development and leadership of the Trust’s commercial programme, including; establishing and growing the commercial function, the day-to-day operational delivery of the commercial work, the development and implementation of the Trust’s strategic approach on commercial matters and creating a framework within which commercial activity and commercial partnerships can thrive.
The Commercial Directorate is heavily involved in numerous high profile current projects, including supporting the commissioning of the new 3Ts hospital, which represents a once in a lifetime opportunity to be involved with a local project of this scale. The Department will also have a key role in supporting the delivery of the Trust’s Patient First, Planet First Green Plan programme and the changes needed to reduce carbon levels across our supply chain and transform the way that we deliver healthcare.
Key responsibilities will include;
- Leading and managing multi-disciplinary teams to deliver commercial programmes
- Present complex commercial business cases to internal and external audiences, gaining support for the proposed approach whilst aligning potentially conflicting objectives
- Influence and negotiate with external organisations regarding the implementation of development and implementation of commercial work programmes/commercial strategies
- Provide expert commercial advice and input to major and significant transactions including transactions which might have significant public interest
- Develop commercial relationships with system partners including diagnostic networks and education providers
- Represent the Trust at network and partnership Board meetings acting with delegated authority to present the Trust’s position, including those which may result in major transformational change
- Design and deliver training to expand commercial awareness and commercial expertise within operational and clinical leaders/managers at all levels within the Trust
- Produce and present formal reports for Trust Board and Board committees
The post will require an individual who holds strong commercial acumen and a broad range of experience in a commercial role within a complex service-delivery focussed organisation. A financial or commercial qualification would be advantageous, although not essential. Experience of undertaking significant transactions such as mergers, acquisitions and establishing subsidiaries/joint ventures would also be beneficial.
UHSussex are working in partnership with Castlefield Recruitment to source this position. For further information on applying please contact Luis Covell.
General information for applicants
As an organisation, UHSussex support an inclusive culture and diversity for our staff. We are committed to encouraging further development and growth from diverse groups, and we welcome applications from people of all abilities and from under-represented groups, which we are able to support with our range of flexible and inclusive options. Applications from those interested in working part-time, job share or another flexible approach are welcomed.
The Trust offers a wide range of active staff groups including our network groups for LGBTQ+, Disability, and SOAR for our Black, Asian and ethnic minority colleagues and allies. Membership and participation in these networks is encouraged.
As a Director level post, the Trust will carry out checks in line with the ‘Fit and Proper Persons Regulations’ (FPPR), which apply to executive and non-executive roles within the NHS. This may include a standard or enhanced DBS check.
Applications for Skilled Worker sponsorship are welcome for those that meet the Visa and Immigrations eligibility criteria. For further information please visit the gov.uk website searching for Skilled Worker.
Apply for Associate Commercial Director
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly
More searches like this
- Purchasing, supply (main) Public Sector jobs in Director / Head / VP / CPO
- Buying Public Sector jobs in Director / Head / VP / CPO
- Contracts Public Sector jobs in Director / Head / VP / CPO
- Logistics Public Sector jobs in Director / Head / VP / CPO
- Operations Public Sector jobs in Director / Head / VP / CPO