Energy Systems Catapult was set up to accelerate the transformation of the UK’s energy system and ensure UK businesses and consumers capture the opportunities of clean growth. The Catapult is an independent, not-for-profit centre of excellence that bridges the gap between industry, government, academia and research. We take a whole systems view of the energy sector, helping us to identify and address innovation priorities and market barriers, in order to decarbonise the energy system at the lowest cost.
During lockdown, we have been working remotely and as we begin to focus more on the future, we intend to embrace a new refreshing way to utilise our office in Birmingham City Centre. As a consequence, we are developing a flexible approach to the workplace , which ensures we keep some of the benefits of home working whilst enabling the Catapult to operate efficiently, this hybrid way of working may result in the majority of us working from home for a good chunk of the time, merging the best bits of both office and home working.
ESC is partly grant funded annually by Innovate UK and must operate where applicable in compliance with Public Contracts Regulations, in so far as it applies to our core grant. It is also responsible for delivering other European funded projects e.g. Interreg, Horizon2020, ERDF.
ESC is looking for a Procurement Specialist to join the Account & Bid Management team.
The role is required to ensure that all processes and procedures applied across the breadth of the ESC underpin the objective of innovation and excellence and that those policies and procedures are sustainable, “leading edge”, consistent, and compliant with all statutory instruments.
Key Work Activities
- To provide a professional compliant procurement service (both public and private sector).
- Ensuring ESC requirements are sourced from the right suppliers, utilising sound contractual and commercial arrangements which recognise and mitigate risk, in particular legal risks, for example the Public Contracts Regulations and State Aid.
- To deliver outcomes and objectives as agreed with the Procurement Manager, including those contained within the Business Plan and any relevant funding agreement.
- Maintain good relationships with all stakeholders throughout the bid process and ensure effective communication of bid status.
- Reporting to the Procurement Manager, the Procurement Specialist will work closely with other ESC senior managers and team members, serving as a procurement expert on specific projects within a range of public and private sector clients and collaborators.
- Support the Procurement Manager in further developing and implementing procurement policies, strategies and processes to provide effective and efficient governance of all key areas of external spend.
- Recognise that none compliance to the Regulations (either by incorrect documentation or tender process) could result in claw back of funding from our Government Funded contracts.
The Procurement Specialist will: -
- Work independently in delivering an end-to-end procurement service, providing guidance on complex issues and securing contractual agreements to ensure service quality, added value and security of supply.
- Manage and ensure compliance of tender process, safeguarding all procurement documentation for audit purposes, including for EU funded projects;
- Manage and develop the procurement processes and make changes as appropriate;
- Manage procurement data files and systems, currently Proactis;
- Where applicable manage internal and external stakeholder’s expectations utilising sound knowledge of ESC objectives and the capabilities of the supply market.
- Develop and implement a variety of sourcing strategies / cost saving initiatives / best practice models which will deliver maximum value for money.
- Participate in negotiation of contract terms on a range of contracts, memorandum of understanding and inter agency agreements.
- Obtain buy-in from key stakeholders to optimize implementation and compliance of contracts.
- Deliver inductions and training to wider audience in best procurement practice.
- Support the development of procurement and commercial skills within ESC.
- Support wider initiatives that will improve commercial capability and challenge best practice.
- Participate in reviews, audits and other assurance processes.
- Ensure compliance with Public Contracts Regulations, Innovate UK funding agreement and other legislation in order to avoid business exposure to litigation and reputational risk.
- Ensure legal requirements relating to procurement are maintained and adhered for regulations compliance.
- Understand and provide guidance on procurement legislation, as appropriate.
- Act ethically and with integrity.
- The post holder will carry out any other duties or responsibility that could reasonably form part of the role.
Key Contacts & Relationships
ESC Directors, Senior Managers, Projects Managers, Legal, Finance and all other staff members.
Directors, Senior Managers, Project Manager, Commercial/Contracts Managers and Legal and Finance departments from a wide range of consultants and other external service providers and suppliers.
What credentials are we ideally looking for?
Essential capabilities: -
- Advanced knowledge and practical application of end-to-end procurement processes, methods and techniques; including negotiation skills, contract management and full purchase to pay.
- Full Membership of the Institute of Procurement & Supply (MCIPS) or working towards (min CIPS Level 4).
- Demonstrable experience in handling innovative and complex non-standard commercial work.
- Demonstrable experience of contract law, and contract drafting.
- Demonstrable experience in delivering procurement activity using Public Contracts Regulations, especially in the RD&I space.
- Demonstrable experience of negotiation at a senior management level.
- Experience of programme and project management – specifically planning, monitoring and controlling projects
- Creative and ability to problem solve.
- Ability to establish, build and manage constructive strategic relationships.
- Self-motivated with the ability to react to unforeseen issues.
- Strong analytical skills backed up by excellent written and oral communication.
- Resilient, self-driven, able to work to tight deadlines/schedules, within a time pressured environment;
- Ability to participate in and facilitate group meetings.
- Ability to conduct market research.
- Proficient in the use of MS Word and Excel.
Desirable capabilities: -
- Background and experience in working in energy sector.
- Operational knowledge and experience of supply chain management;
- Knowledge of contracts in the energy Sector
- Knowledge of funding requirements relating to other Public Funded Projects e.g. Interreg, Horizon2020, ERDF, WEFO.