We have exciting opportunities for experienced Commercial Officers to join us and our sister organisation, the Submarine Delivery Agency, to play a fundamental role on key contracts across our vitally important projects. You'll be working on a variety of defence procurement programmes that are key to equipping and supporting the armed forces with everything they need to do their job safely. If you’ve got big aspirations, our organisation will provide the tools to help you grow, learn, and achieve extraordinary things. That’s why we say, your ambition leads here.
DE&S is an integral part of UK defence. We equip and support the UK’s armed forces as they protect life at home and overseas. As part of this, we procure the newest protective clothing for the frontline. We also create smarter tech for intelligence systems. And we make safer, more effective vehicles for land, sea and air. Our Commercial function is home to around 1,000 people. Everyone here is proudly working together to deliver procurement programmes with real-world impact – securing the tools and equipment the armed forces need to do their best, while ensuring compliance and best value for the UK taxpayer.
About the role
In this role, you will be responsible for but not limited to:
- Developing Invitation to Tender documentation, negotiating terms, pricing and placing of contracts up to a maximum delegation of £2.5M in accordance with the Ministry of Defence policy
- Supporting the development of new Procurement Strategies through analysis of the markets for Defence Equipment and ‘learning from experience’ with other teams in DE&S and using DE&S acquisition tools to advertise defence procurements to future suppliers
- Leading and/or assisting (depending on project value) in the portfolio management of Category A – D contracts ensuring contract obligations are met in line with the contract and business requirements.
- Monitoring supplier performance management in accordance with Contract Management Plans
- Contributing to wider Commercial function and business improvement activities
- Communicating in a timely manner with a range of internal and external stakeholders
- Managing staff where required, advising, coaching and developing Commercial Assistants.
To be successful with your application, you must demonstrate experience of sourcing and/or effective contract management. Show us that you’re good at communicating with a range of stakeholders and that you have proficient IT skills, including Microsoft Office and the ability to use IT systems and programmes.
When you join DE&S, you’ll enjoy a generous employer pension contribution of around 27%. You’ll benefit from a clear career path with plenty of opportunities for progression. As well as access to specialist training and funded professional qualifications, you can expect plenty of support from colleagues and mentors. And you’ll be welcome to join a wide range of employee networks, including the Women’s Inclusive Network, Race & Culture Network, Pride Network, Disability Network, and more. We recognise that the best people for the job may have commitments outside of work, so we’re pleased to promote flexible working to support our colleagues in balancing work and home life.
Please also note that some of the positions available will be open to Sole UK Nationals only.