Senior Category Manager - Diagnostics
After a long period of collaborative working, Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust (BSUH) merged with Western Sussex Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust (WSHT) in April 2021 to form University Hospitals Sussex NHS Foundation Trust (UHSussex). This integration has created one of the largest acute trusts in the UK and a workforce of 20,000, hosting 1.5 million outpatient appointments, A&E visits and surgery cases every year.
UHSussex is a vibrant and inclusive organisation with patient care at our core. Our hard-working, talented and dedicated people work together towards a common goal – to always put our Patient First. Allied to this, in January 2022, we launched our Patient First, Planet First Green Plan setting out our approach to supporting the NHS to become the world’s first net zero health service.
This is an exciting time to join UHSussex. Our new 3Ts Hospital, part of the Government’s Future Hospitals Programme, will open in 2023. The hospital is a critical part of the Trust’s strategic vision, including delivery of its clinical strategy, representing an opportunity to improve system wide services for people across Sussex.
Senior Category Manager – Diagnostics - £48,526 - £54,619 (AfC Band 8a)
The Senior Category Manager (Diagnostics) will join a recently formed Commercial Directorate, which followed the Trust merger and brought together two separate Procurement Teams into a single structure and strengthened the commercial expertise within the Trust.
The Senior Category Manager (Diagnostics) will line manage the specialist Category Team to build relationships externally with suppliers and NHS Category Towers and internally as a business partner to several operational clinical departments. The postholder will use their market and service knowledge to deliver highly complex or very high value procurements and contracts that maximise value for money, comply with internal governance requirements and relevant legislation whilst balancing the demands of service delivery in a dynamic, multi-site acute and teaching hospital.
The Senior Category Manager (Diagnostics) will also ensure the provision of expert procurement advice to operational clinical departments to support ongoing contract management and work as an expert to the Category Team members.
Key responsibilities will include;
- Build and maintain the reputation of the procurement service as a highly professional and enabling business partnering service
- Lead the negotiation of high value or highly complex, multi-year contracts for services and subsequent contract management on behalf of the Trust Support on the delivery of strategic procurement and commercial opportunities ensuring the long-term sustainable future of the Trust
- Carry out procurements for highly detailed, high value contracts that require analysis, comparison and assessment
- Co-ordinate clinical and operational engagement in the selection of new products and equipment including establishing equipment trials, designing feedback questionnaire, collating and reporting results
- Develop and implement service policy and processes in line with Trust requirements and national guidelines
- Responsible for ensuring catalogues within the relevant categories are maintained and the electronic catalogue management system is maintained and updated
The successful Senior Category Manager (Diagnostics) will hold;
- Experience in a procurement leadership position within a complex service-delivery focussed organisation MCIPS, Degree (in a relevant field such as Purchasing, Supply, Logistics) or equivalent level of experience
- Previous experience, ideally within a clinical, laboratory or diagnostic category area
- Ability to present and explain complex commercial matters to a range of stakeholders
- Experience of managing and developing staff
UHSussex are working in partnership with Castlefield Recruitment to source this position. For further information on applying, contacts for an informal discussion or access to the Candidate Pack please contact Luis Covell.
General information for applicants
As an organisation, UHSussex support an inclusive culture and diversity for our staff. We are committed to encouraging further development and growth from diverse groups, and we welcome applications from people of all abilities and from under-represented groups, which we are able to support with our range of flexible and inclusive options. Applications from those interested in working part-time, job share or another flexible approach are welcomed.
The Trust offers a wide range of active staff groups including our network groups for LGBTQ+, Disability, and SOAR for our Black, Asian and ethnic minority colleagues and allies. Membership and participation in these networks is encouraged.
Applications for Skilled Worker sponsorship are welcome for those that meet the Visa and Immigrations eligibility criteria. For further information please visit the gov.uk website searching for Skilled Worker.