Category Manager - Estates & Facilities
After a long period of collaborative working, Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust (BSUH) merged with Western Sussex Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust (WSHT) in April 2021 to form University Hospitals Sussex NHS Foundation Trust (UHSussex). This integration has created one of the largest acute trusts in the UK and a workforce of 20,000, hosting 1.5 million outpatient appointments, A&E visits and surgery cases every year.
UHSussex is a vibrant and inclusive organisation with patient care at our core. Our hard-working, talented and dedicated people work together towards a common goal – to always put our Patient First. Allied to this, in January 2022, we launched our Patient First, Planet First Green Plan setting out our approach to supporting the NHS to become the world’s first net zero health service.
This is an exciting time to join UHSussex. Our new 3Ts Hospital, part of the Government’s Future Hospitals Programme, will open in 2023. The hospital is a critical part of the Trust’s strategic vision, including delivery of its clinical strategy, representing an opportunity to improve system wide services for people across Sussex.
Category Manager – Estates & Facilities - £41,659 - £47,672 (AfC Band 7)
The Category Manager will work as part of a category team to build relationships externally with suppliers and NHS Category Towers and internally as a business partner to operational and corporate departments. The Category Manager will use their market and service knowledge to deliver procurements and contracts that maximise value for money, comply with internal governance requirements and relevant legislation whilst balancing the demands of service delivery in a dynamic, multi-site acute and teaching hospital.
The Category Manager will also ensure the provision of procurement advice to operational and corporate departments to support ongoing contract management.
This is a developmental role and part of the departmental succession planning with the expectation that the Category Manager will follow a structured development programme to support them to achieve a Senior Category Manager role.
Key responsibilities will include;
- Develop and deliver commercial procurement strategies at a divisional level requiring senior stakeholder engagement
- Carry out procurements for contracts that require analysis, comparison, and assessment
- Support on the delivery of strategic procurement and commercial opportunities ensuring the long-term sustainable future of the Trust
- Critically assess markets and competitive behaviour undertaken by all suppliers within the relevant categories and take action to improve or protect the Trust’s interests across the whole contract lifecycle
- Ensure the provision of procurement advice to operational and corporate departments to support ongoing contract management
- Extract and analyse procurement data to develop and inform the strategic approach to specific procurements, to identify efficiency opportunities and inform the forward work-plan of the team
The successful Category Manager (Estates & Facilities) will hold;
- Experience in a procurement leadership position within a complex service-delivery focussed organisation MCIPS, Degree (in a relevant field such as Purchasing, Supply, Logistics) or equivalent level of experience
- Previous experience, ideally within an Estates or Facilities category area
- Ability to present and explain complex commercial matters to a range of stakeholders
UHSussex are working in partnership with Castlefield Recruitment to source this position. For further information on applying, contacts for an informal discussion or access to the Candidate Pack please contact Luis Covell.
General information for applicants
As an organisation, UHSussex support an inclusive culture and diversity for our staff. We are committed to encouraging further development and growth from diverse groups, and we welcome applications from people of all abilities and from under-represented groups, which we are able to support with our range of flexible and inclusive options. Applications from those interested in working part-time, job share or another flexible approach are welcomed.
The Trust offers a wide range of active staff groups including our network groups for LGBTQ+, Disability, and SOAR for our Black, Asian and ethnic minority colleagues and allies. Membership and participation in these networks is encouraged.
Applications for Skilled Worker sponsorship are welcome for those that meet the Visa and Immigrations eligibility criteria. For further information please visit the gov.uk website searching for Skilled Worker.