India: next global engineering hub

28 September 2008
More news

29 September 2008 | Jake Kanter

India is set to become the centre of global engineering services, according to a top EADS buyer.

Addressing delegates at a low-cost country sourcing conference in Prague last month, Philippe Advani said India's aircraft manufacturing capabilities are strengthening all the time. The vice-president global sourcing network said that it has become a "key target" for the European aviation firm.

He explained the Indian private sector was taking great interest in the aviation industry. And because the country is the second biggest defence equipment importer in the world, it has a good understanding of the industry's needs.

Advani added EADS is selling many of its European manufacturing plants and outsourcing some of its operations. It aims to spend 60 per cent of its ?34 billion (£26.8 billion) annual expenditure in Europe and the remaining 40 per cent between the US and the rest of the world. He also said it is aiming to set up a purchasing office in India.

"The aviation industry is fledgling in India and its access to raw materials is limited, but we hope it can fulfil our plans. India is moving from the IT hub of the world to become the engineering hub."


RAF Wyton, PE28 2EA
£39,511 + substantial pension and benefits
Ministry of Defence: Defence Infrastructure Organisation
Glasgow City
£32,425 + excellent pension & benefits
Ministry of Defence: Defence Infrastructure Organisation
CIPS Knowledge
Find out more with CIPS Knowledge:
  • best practice insights
  • guidance
  • tools and templates