Apple commits to carbon neutral supply chain by 2030

21 July 2020

Apple has outlined plans to make its business, manufacturing supply chain, and product life cycle completely carbon neutral by 2030. 

In its 2020 Environmental Progress Report the tech giant said it planned to reduce 75% of its carbon emissions by 2030 and develop “innovative carbon removal solutions” for the remaining 25% of its global emissions.

Apple said it would expand energy efficiency and invest in renewable energy and innovation in processes and materials to achieve its goal.

Over 70 of Apple’s suppliers have committed to use 100% renewable energy for production in the next 10 years, equivalent to nearly eight gigawatts. Once completed, the move will avoid over 14.3m tonnes of CO2 annually, Apple said. 

Last year, the firm bought its first “commercial batch” of aluminium which was produced without any direct carbon dioxide emissions. Apple said the low-carbon aluminum was “currently being used in production intended for use with the 16-inch MacBook Pro”.

The firm added it is investing in product recycling. Its latest innovation, a robot called “Dave”,  disassembles iPhone’s “Taptic Engine” to recover key materials such as rare earth magnets, tungsten and steel. Apple also has a line of iPhone disassembly robots called “Daisy”.

As part of its plan, Apple said it would invest in minority-owned businesses that drive positive outcomes in its supply chain and in communities that are disproportionately affected by environmental hazards. 

“Businesses have a profound opportunity to help build a more sustainable future, one born of our common concern for the planet we share,” said Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO. 

“The innovations powering our environmental journey are not only good for the planet — they’ve helped us make our products more energy efficient and bring new sources of clean energy online around the world. Climate action can be the foundation for a new era of innovative potential, job creation, and durable economic growth. With our commitment to carbon neutrality, we hope to be a ripple in the pond that creates a much larger change.”

In 2018, the firm announced it used 100% renewable energy in its global facilities including retail stores, offices and data centres.

☛ Want to stay up to date with the news? Sign up to our daily bulletin.

LATEST
JOBS
Zurich, Canton of Zürich (CH)
-
Barry Callebaut
London, York
£38,171 - £42,745 (National) £39,747 - £44,854 + £3,150 RRA (London)
CPS
SEARCH JOBS
CIPS Knowledge
Find out more with CIPS Knowledge:
  • best practice insights
  • guidance
  • tools and templates
GO TO CIPS KNOWLEDGE