What is the region covered by CIPS Africa?
CIPS Africa will support 16,000 CIPS members across Sub Saharan Africa brought together to be supported initially from the CIPS Southern Africa office, based in Pretoria.
When did IPSA become CIPS Southern Africa?
CIPS and IPSA enjoyed a working relationship of benefit to members of both professional institutes for five years. In December 2009 IPSA ceased to trade as a professional body and agreed with CIPS to transfer all of its members to become CIPS Southern Africa members.
What is the purpose of CIPS Africa?
CIPS runs nearly 45,000 examinations every year across the region from 60 study centres, has 11 African branches with an additional 7 in South Africa. CIPS currently works and supports many organisations from both the private and public sectors across the Africa region. The launch of CIPS Africa will also enable CIPS to support these and other organisations in sub-Saharan Africa more effectively, helping them to develop their procurement and supply chain capability.
How does CIPS Africa differ from a CIPS branch?
CIPS Africa is a limited company which is 75% owned by CIPS. The other 25% equity is owned by a South African Trust which complies with the Broad Based Black Economic Empowerment Act (BBBEE). This trust will award funds to beneficiaries for education development.
What are the benefits of this for me?
CIPS Africa has been created to provide you with training and professional qualifications from a world recognised independent professional body – The Chartered Institute of Purchasing & Supply. We offer study programmes that are recognised around the world; being a member of CIPS gives you access to courses and professional qualifications that are relevant to your industry and important to you in your procurement career.
What services can I expect from the office in South Africa?
The CIPS Africa office will have a small staff supporting members in the region. There will a programme of training and development events and branch and networking activities for members. To raise the profile of procurement in the region, the office will also be advocating professional procurement with government institutions and large employers.
Will I have the same access to benefits as others around the world?
Yes, you can access professional resources, online business intelligence, online networking and Regus office and meeting venues. Find out more about these benefits.
Will there be any different benefits?
Supply Management, the monthly magazine will have dedicated Southern Africa features and jobs advertising. You can access www.supplymanagement.com and also receive their daily email alerts and newsletters.
What are the business networking opportunities in Southern Africa?
We will build on the African branch network where members can meet up and network at organised events or visits that provide a place for you to meet with other members. You will be automatically be allocated to a branch based on your location.
Will there be a Pan-Africa conference?
Please join us at our annual CIPS Pan African Conference. Click here for more information about the latest event.
In which currency can I pay my membership fees?
if you are paying online via the CIPS website you can pay in several currencies including Rand, GB Pounds and US Dollars. Select your currency from the menu at the top of the page.
In seven African countries CIPS has implemented a facility for you to pay your membership fees and examination enrolment fees in local currency by working directly with the British Council. This means that making payments will be more convenient for you and will avoid the cost of currency conversion. The countries are: Botswana, Ghana, Kenya, Malawi, Nigeria, Uganda and Zambia.
If you have further questions about CIPS membership, qualifications or events please visit our Customer Service FAQs.